This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I don’t know about y’all, but I love to binge a good sitcom. They don’t take up too much time since most episodes are about twenty minutes long. You can easily put the show on while doing chores, or you can watch a quick episode before heading out. Some of my favorite sitcoms are Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Schitt’s Creek, and Modern Family, but recently Abbott Elementary has started to move up on my list of favorites. Similar to Parks and Rec and The Office, Abbott Elementary is a workplace mockumentary, so if you like these shows then you will LOVE Abbott Elementary.

Abbott Elementary focuses on a group of teachers at a public school in Philadelphia. Despite the challenging circumstances that they face, they prioritize the success of their students, while maintaining a positive attitude.

I found out about Abbott Elementary thanks to my “For You” Page on TikTok. Several clips had been popping up, and I finally decided to start watching. I am so glad I did because this show has definitely become one of my favorites. I convinced some my friends to watch, so now I’m here to convince you too! So, here are some reasons you should watch Abbott Elementary.

It brings attention to the various issues that schools, students, and teachers face.

Public schools across the country face issues with lack of school funding and shortage of teachers, which are portrayed in the show. Also, the show highlights the issues that both teachers and students face such as bullying, parent involvement, and family matters. Not only does the show bring awareness to these issues through its portrayal, but also the show has taken action through their donations to underfunded schools. Most shows shy away from such issues to avoid controversy, but shows should be raising more awareness about such issues in order to make a change. After watching this show, I have gained even more respect for teachers. I love love love this show because it highlights the underappreciated work that teachers do, which is often not shown in the media.

It’s hilarious and wholesome.

Abbott Elementary sheds light on serious topics, while also showing wholesome content between their hilarious characters. It’s so fun seeing relationships form between the characters because they each have their own quirks, but they have such good chemistry. There is no one in the show that I despise which is very rare when watching a show or movie. Of course, the characters have their moments but you are able to see their growth throughout the seasons.

Quinta Brunson is the creator of the show.

Quinta Brunson also plays second grade teacher Janine Teagues, who is passionate about the success of her students. Honestly, I could not see anyone else playing her part because she does such a good job. Quinta Brunson has also worked her way to the top. I remember watching Buzzfeed videos with Quinta when I was in middle school, and it has been amazing to see how far she has gone. She has been nominated for 3 Emmy’s and has won 1 Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series in 2022. In 2023, she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a TV Musical or Comedy.

quinta brunson emmys 2022?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo by Danny Moloshok/Invision for the Television Academy/AP Images

So, please go watch Abbott Elementary right now. It’s not too late to watch since the season 2 finale comes out this Valentine’s day!

I am a sophomore at the University of Kansas. I am majoring in Psychology with a minor in applied behavioral science. I enjoy reading, running, and spending time with friends!