This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I decided to room with my best friend and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Hear me out. I am aware that everyone always says not to because it will ruin your friendship and make you hate each other with a burning passion. I was not necessarily worried, but everyone placed these bad seeds of thought into my head and I’ll admit, I had an inkling of doubt. However, it really was the best decision to room with my best friend. I have heard an extraordinary amount of roommate horror stories and boy am I glad I don’t have to deal with any of that. Living with your best friend means unlimited sleepovers and girls nights, which is an opportunity you should not look over because of one statement people with zero experience like to make. As someone that does have experience, here are some reasons rooming with your best friend is the best! 

You have someone to rant to and have life chats with.

Those midnight therapy sessions just don’t work with someone you aren’t close with. Your best friend knows you and will be able to help talk through all your boy drama, class struggles, and meltdowns. Let me tell you, you’ll have a few of those and you will want someone to be there for you. College is hard; you need a buddy.

There’s not that awkward “getting to know you” period

You already know them so you will feel comfortable from the get-go. You won’t be thrown into a room with a random stranger and go through an awkward phase of being pretend friends, if you ever even become friends. You also don’t have to slowly figure out their weird habits and what makes them tick. You pretty much know what you are getting yourself into. 

Getting ready and having spontaneous pre-going out dance parties is SO DAMN FUN.

Doing your makeup while belting out to “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” and getting groovy sets the right mood for the whole night. You want to be able to get hyped! Your neighbors might hate you for an hour, but it’s so worth it. 

Image Credit

You can go dorm shopping together and make sure both sides of the room match.

It’s 2019 and it’s all about the aesthetic. If you are anything like me, you want an instagram-worthy dorm room. This means your room decorations all have to somehow match and have a certain vibe. Dorm shopping with your best friend will make everything easier and can be so much fun! 

You’ll feel more at home with a familiar face.

Transitioning into college and living on your own can be extremely tough. Bringing a familiar face with you will make you feel less lonely and more confident. Freshman year is inevitably going to test you to your limits at times and having your best friend for support will help you conquer it all.

You have that many more clothes to wear. 

Staring at your closet which is full to the brim of clothes, but thinking you don’t have anything to wear is a major struggle we can all relate to. It is every girl’s worst nightmare. The nice thing is best friends borrow each other clothes all the time. You just can’t do that with someone you’re not friends with, but since you’re living with your best friend, you have access to all their clothes. Yay for more cute outfits!

Image Credit

You’ll have someone to go out with.

The buddy system is a college necessity. You know you’ll always have someone to go out and get crazy with. An added bonus is that your best friend knows you too well and will be able to save you from some potentially bad situations by just a facial expression or key word. 

You can be weird without feeling self-conscious.

You both already know each other’s quirks, and you love each other for them. There is no pressure to act a certain way or be more “normal” because you can just laugh at each other without feeling embarrassed or judged. The weirdest memories are the best ones. 

You know they’re not a serial killer who’s going to murder you in your sleep.

I don’t know about you, but I always had nightmares about getting a creepy roommate who was going to try and kill me in my sleep. This is a bit extreme and I wish that upon no one, but rooming with someone you already know will eliminate this issue altogether. 

Image credit

Freshman at the University of Kansas