Why You Should Get a Flu Shot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of year again: sniffly noses, coughing, fevers, and all of that fun stuff that comes along with having
the flu. Besides these awful symptoms , the flu can set you back in school particularly around midterms and finals. Protect yourself by getting a flu shot.

It takes two weeks after the vaccination for the protection to kick in, so get it as soon as you can. Although it doesn’t prevent you from getting all strains of flu, it still covers common strains. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

There are many places to get a flu shot in Lawrence. Local doctors offices or the Watkins Memorial Health Center on campus are good places to start. Local pharmacies like Target, Dillon’s and Walgreen’s also have walk-in flu shots available.

“Think about all of the germs you’re exposed to every day in your lecture hall surrounded by 300 students, it just makes sense to protect yourself,” said Hannah Fahler, a pharmacy student at KU.

I know how scary needles can seem, but you only have to do it once a year. Typically it is given as an intramuscular injection, which takes place in your muscle. If you have a fear of shots, there is also a new intradermal needle which is much smaller and less invasive; it just goes slightly below the skin.

Other than getting the flu shot, which is the most effective way to prevent the flu, you’ll want to wash your hands often, avoid sharing drinks and food, and keep hand sanitizer handy in your bookbag. The best way to prevent sharing your own germs is to cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough and stay home if you feel ill.

Don’t let this season’s flu get you down, start protecting yourself today. The more people who are vaccinated, the less chance certain viruses have of spreading. So grab a few friends and get your flu shots. 

I'm a senior at KU double majoring in English and Journalism.  I love reading, dancing, and playing with my two dogs - Ellie and Delilah!