etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why I’m Okay With Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like now is the time that couples are everywhere. New relationships are popping up left and right, people are posting about anniversaries with their significant other, and it seems like love is in the air. Then there’s me, over in the corner, by myself as per usual watching all of this happen around me. It’s so easy to get jealous and wish that you had what everyone else has, but I’m slowly realizing that there are a lot of perks to being single that get overlooked. So, for all my fellow single ladies out there, I decided to write about some reasons why I’m okay with being single.

I have more time for my friends

Image Credit

Last year I didn’t hang out with many of my friends outside of classes and clubs. This year, if that’s what I want to do, I have plenty of time to do it. I don’t have to try to split my free time between them, myself, and a guy. In my opinion, this is saving me from a lot of stress and tough decisions right now.

I get to make more money

Image Credit

I’m the weird kind of person who actually loves going to work and will go in on a day off just to hang out with my coworkers. If I can pick an extra shift up there, I’m almost always taking advantage of that. Bonus perk: Any money that I make, I get to treat myself with. 

I can fangirl over celebrities as much as I want 

Image Credit

If anyone knows me, they know I have A LOT of celebrity crushes that I don’t shut up about and that the list is constantly growing. Being single means I can fangirl and fantasize as much as I want about whoever I want without having to worry about making anyone jealous.

I get to eat all of the food I buy

Image Credit

That’s right, if I buy a large fry from McDonalds, I have it all to myself. Yum! Same goes for that pint of ice cream in the freezer.

I can sleep how I want to

Image Credit

Some nights I want to just sprawl out in bed. Not having to share a bed with anyone definitely promotes this behavior and, honestly, I feel kind of bad for whoever ends up sharing a bed with me in the future after I’ve been spoiled for so long,

I can watch what I want when I want 

Image Credit

Now this one is pretty big for me, especially as fall TV shows start coming back AND hockey season is starting. Having control over the TV is a must for me during this time.

Basically, don’t linger on what (or in this case, who) you don’t have. Yes, it would be wonderful to have that special someone, but sometimes you just need to be patient and wait for what’s meant to happen to happen. In the meantime, enjoy the perks of being single!