kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why are Essential Oils so Essential?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Essential oils are extracted from plants, fruits, and other natural materials to solve all of our life problems. By using an essential oil whether, topically, or through aromatherapy, you get tons of the natural health and emotional benefits. In college, we can use all the extra help we can get, so if there is a cheap and easy way to recover from the physical and emotional stress we have to endure, I am all about it! There are over 90 different types of essential oils, however, I am just going to name off a few of my favs that are nothing but essential.

Tea Tree Oil- Extracted from tea tree leaves, this essential oil is the most amazing for skin issues and your overall health. If your skin is stressing and breaking out like no other, this oil calms redness, swelling, and combats both oily and dry skin. It also prevents and reduces those annoying acne scars that don’t seem to go away. Tea tree oil is also commonly used as a first aid lotion for cuts, fights infections, and boosts your immune system. 

Image Credit

Lavender- Taken from the cute little purple plants, Lavender is the holy grail of essential oils because it helps with absolutely EVERYTHING! This oil is great for those nights when you want to chill after doing a buttload of homework because the smell is very calming, reduces anxiety, and helps you sleep. It is also good for those nights you go really hard and wake up to the worst hangover ever because it soothes upset stomachs and nausea. If Aunt Flo comes to visit and you are having terrible cramps, you can use lavender and it will help with all your symptoms. 

Image Credit

Rose- Made from rose petals, rose oil contains a bunch of vitamins and antioxidants and has many different benefits. The smell is a nice floral scent that is known to improve mood and put you in a positive headspace. If you are stressed out or having some anxiety about anything, rose oil is a go-to. Your skin would love this essential oil because it is very moisturizing and is great for sensitive skin, all while smoothing out the texture of your face. 

Image Credit

Peppermint- Extracted from peppermint leaves, this oil has a fresh and minty scent that is super revitalizing and refreshing. If you are needing to focus in class or doing homework, peppermint boosts your energy and focus so you can grind to your heart’s delight. Another perk of this essential oil, is that it’s very useful for nervous stress and anxiety. Having a super bad headache or some back pain? Peppermint helps soothe any aches and pains by applying it to the spot that hurts, but be careful, because the oil can drop your body temperature, so only use it in small amounts!

Using essential oils is a natural way to improve your mental and physical health, but make sure the brand of oil you use only has the natural ingredient because you don’t want to mess with any icky chemicals! 

Image Credit

*Warning* If you have any small pets, there have been some cases where animals become sick from being exposed to diffusers with essential oils, so make sure you keep your little friends away or only use the oil topically. 

Sources-                                                                                                                                                                               

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-are-essential-oils#section5 https://wyndmerenaturals.com/pages/essential-oil-descriptions

Hello there! My name is Miya (My-uh) and I am from Overland Park, Kansas. I am double majoring in Communications and Global International Studies. I am super passionate about all things skincare, health, and beauty and they are my favorite topics to write about. Besides that, I'll write just about anything that pops into my head, so welcome to it!