The Lalastack Of Clothing
The Lalastack Of Clothing
Her Campus Media
Style

What’s “In” in 2020 Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s 2020! Not only the start of a new year, but a new decade. Many people are wondering and hypothesizing about what’s going to go down in the world of fashion and beauty. Like many a gal in her college years, I’m also curious about what the happenings of the fashion world are to be in the next year.

Unfortunately, I am woefully ignorant of what is or isn’t good style. In this day and age, everyone puts their opinions online. So, I decided to take polling of the most popular women’s online magazines (i.e. Insider, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, etc.) and see what everyone has to say and what they agree on. 

Colored Leather

Everyone’s going gaga on colored leather- specifically in bright ‘spring’ type colors like bright green, yellow, and blue. It’s showing up in everything from more traditional things like bags and shoes to full ensembles in suits, skirts, and hats. Style Caster, Insider, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, and Marie Claire predicted this. 

Neon Colors

Neon has already been a staple of many a fitness model’s Instagram but it is also coming to your wardrobe for the more casual fare. It includes the classical colors of yellow, orange, pink, and green; with specific emphasis on the green. Soon it won’t be just colors of sportswear but dresses, turtlenecks, and pantsuits as well. Style Caster, Insider, Harper’s Bazaar, and Vogue predicted this. 

Crochet

This is a really strange one and seemingly the least practical to actually incorporate into casual wear. It seems to mostly be in the form of fashionable and a little sexy swimsuit cover-up. Insider, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, and Instyle predicted this.

Polka Dots

I wasn’t aware polka dots were out. It’s the most inoffensive print you could think of. Style Caster, Insider, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, and Instyle predicted this. 

Bra Top

Bandeaus aren’t exactly new news but the bra top is wearing what was intended as an undergarment as a shirt. This is often accompanied by a chunky blazer or suit jacket. Sporting your lingerie in public is no longer only for the Kardashians but for your average Sue or Mary. Style Caster, Harper’s Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, and Marie Claire predicted this. 

Now the obvious winners of this experiment are Style Caster and Harper’s Bazaar. Only time will tell if these predictions will hold true. To end, I would like to mention some honorable mentions that only one or two publishers listed but I would love if they were in because of how fun they sound. Insider likes peplum style tops, Harper’s Bazaar likes vests, Cosmopolitan likes pleats, Style Caster likes the color marigold, Marie Claire likes high side slits, Vogue likes punk, and Instyle likes straw bags. 

I'm a creative writing and journalism double major and a freshman. This is my first year writing for her campus.