Style > Fashion

What The Style Icons of Young Girls Today Say About Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’ve been thinking a lot about style icons lately. Who are style icons that teens are looking up to now? Would I, a 21-year-old woman, agree with them being a “style icon,” or is it just a TikTok fad? So, I decided to take a look at who I see as the new Gen Z style icons, and why their style is so influential and beloved.

Emma Chamberlain

You can’t make any celebrity list nowadays without including at least one influencer it seems like; however, I believe this one actually has some merit. Emma is such an authentic, down-to-earth and relatable influencer, and that’s why people have connected with her. She hasn’t gotten big-headed, even when flying to Paris and wearing Louis Vuitton. That’s what I think is her appeal as an influencer, but it also coincides with her fashion sense. She wears Louis Vuitton and shops second-hand. She mixes thrifted clothes with designer clothes, which makes her both inspirational and aspirational. However, I think the thing that connects her the most to Gen Z is that she doesn’t have an aesthetic, unlike most influencers who have a set “brand.” She goes from glamor girl to kindergartener to relaxed LA girl seamlessly. The only thing that ties all her aesthetics together is its effortlessness, which plays into her aspirational appeal. She even told Who What Wear “[My fashion is] all over the place. My aesthetic and my fashion sense is constantly changing, but I think that keeps it fun and interesting.” While it’s clear Emma’s go-to is jeans and a basic white top, white sneakers and solid-colored baby tee, she also isn’t afraid to mix it up with both following trends and setting them.

Olivia Rodrigo

Olivia is a trailblazer for the Y2K comeback, between her pop-punk, Paramore-esque hit “Good 4 U” and her 2002 Kindergarten vibes on her Sour album cover. Olivia’s style while promoting the album also showcases the Y2K vibe from her slip dress during her SNL performance of “Driver’s License” to her Avril Lavigne-esque aesthetic in her “Brutal” music video. Olivia, who is also a Disney Channel darling, is channeling feelings of nostalgia through her fashion aesthetic. Gen Z were toddlers watching Wizards of Waverly Place and Hannah Montana when these Y2K trends were all-the-rage. We were looking up to icons like Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan dreaming of the day we can dress like them. Now we can, and Olivia is inspiring us to take full advantage. 

Billie Eilish

Billie’s style epitomizes Gen Z’s affinity for oversized, baggy clothing. And with young Gen Z-ers spending their teen experience in a global pandemic, it makes sense that comfort is a priority in fashion and Billie’s iconic look is so appealing to them. However, Billie looks at it like making a statement. She said on Instagram in 2019 that she deliberately wears baggy clothes to avoid being sexualized and body-shamed by the ruthless media, which is even more admirable. With body positivity and sex positivity on the rise, it makes even more sense why Gen Zs are obsessed with Billie Eilish.

Millie Bobby Brown

Millie represents Gen Z’s affinity for experimentation, while still being age-appropriate. This generation defines that fashion has no rules, but parents unfortunately do. So, they have found ways to experiment with their style, while still getting their parent’s approval. Millie does that expertly, especially on award show red carpets like the 2018 all-black Golden Globes and the 2020 SAG awards. She also doesn’t stick to one aesthetic. She’s almost costumey in the way she approaches style. When she’s at an award show, she’s princessy and elegant, but when she’s acting as UNICEF’s global ambassador, she’s mature and businessy. 

Hello! My name is Sami Gotskind! I'm from Chicago and graduated from the University of Kansas with a degree in Acting and Journalism. I also working on getting a certificate in Fashion Styling from the Fashion Institute of Technology. I was a writer for Her Campus KU from 2020 to 2022 and for Her Campus Nationals since 2021. I was also the Writing Director for Her Campus KU in 2022. I love film, TV, fashion, pop culture, history, music, and feminism. My friends describe me as an old soul, an avid Euphoria fan, a fashion icon, a Swiftie, an Audrey Hepburn-Blair Waldorf fanatic, a future New Yorker, and a Gossip Girl historian. Look out for me on your TV screens in the near future! Thank you for reading my articles!