This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

What do you think of when you hear the term “self-care?” For me, I think of beauty face masks and eating my favorite pasta. For others, it may mean watching their favorite movie or allowing themselves to take a nap. The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as “the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.”

Oftentimes, we forget that self-care actually means doing something to improve ourselves, whether that is a mental or physical improvement. Doing something for yourself is extremely important, especially during the holidays or times around finals when things can start to feel out of control. However, too often people confuse doing something satisfying with something that can improve mentality or happiness. For example, if am sad about a breakup, lying in bed for a few days might be necessary, but lying in bed for days on end is not self-care— that’s self-neglect.

Doing what you want is NOT self-care. That’s a difficult discussion to have, but it’s true. Sometimes the best forms of self-care are exactly what we don’t want to do. I don’t always want to workout, but I know that, personally, I have a better mentality and feel better when I do. I don’t want to go to my 8 a.m. class, but I know that good grades are necessary for my future goals and, therefore, future happiness.

I’m not saying don’t indulge in things that satisfy you; sleeping in and skipping a workout are not bad things, but actually practicing self-care means taking care of yourself, even if doing so isn’t fun. Your future self will thank you.

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)