This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Everyone always starts college with a little bit of anxiety and a little bit of excitement. A mix of both is always good and, to be honest, quite accurate. There are going to be moments of anxiety and moments of excitement equally dispersed throughout the year. However, I did not know what to really expect going in as a freshman. As I enter my third year of college, I am realizing that freshman year was actually easier than I thought. What held me back was the insane amount of anxiety and uncertainty I felt. I am writing this article to help any freshmen or new college students feel a little less worried and uncertain about this coming year! Here is my short list of what I wish I knew as a freshman:

Asking people where classrooms are located is NOT the most embarrassing thing ever:

There were so many times where I had no clue where a class or event was located or held and I spent so much time and energy racing the halls trying to find class numbers that were impossible to find. If you see someone that looks like they know where they are going or looks like they are experienced and know their way around the school, do not be afraid to ask for help. It’s daunting … I know! Letting yourself look vulnerable and lost is never easy, but trust me, people are nice and they are going to be more than happy to help. It took me a few trials to figure this out but everyone starts somewhere, so always ask for help if you need it!

The handles on campus busses do NOT prevent you from falling:

I know what you are thinking: “Just sit down, there is no need to stand.” However, if you were a freshman when I was and the busses were packed like sardines, there was no option but to stand, especially during rush hour when everyone was either going to or coming from class. One time the bus was incredibly jam-packed and I decided to get on and use one of the rope handles that they attach on the upper sides of the bus to keep myself up. As soon as the bus started moving … so did I. I started tumbling and tripping on people and the embarrassment I felt was enough to never want to show my face on campus ever again. It was rough. But I wasn’t the only one and the easiest way to not have to stand up and use the rope handles for support is to time manage and get on a bus that is moving when most students are in class or off campus in general. Keep it classy and just take a seat on the bus if it’s available. It is just easier that way!

College friendships can be fleeting so find time to spend with them:

What I have learned is that college friendships are nothing like high school friendships. In high school, everyone sees everyone everyday and it is an on-going cycle. In college, people tend to have flexible schedules, and everyone has a preferred place to study. Along with that, every semester classes change and suddenly you are not in touch with people that you were in touch with before. Make sure to find time to spend with the friends that you get along with and meet as many people as you can. You are bound to find people who like you and get along with you. Spending time with people outside of school was super important for me because it truly helped me understand who I actually vibe with. 

You can always find something to do on weekends:

I used to go home pretty much every weekend my freshman year. I love my family and ended up missing them a lot, so I figured it would be smart to go back home often. Although I do not regret this, I wish I had spent more weekends on campus. I missed out on a lot of school events or hangout sessions with friends, and I feel like I missed out on the college lifestyle during my first year. My advice to you would be to try and spend more time on campus even if you don’t have classes to go to on the weekends. There is always something to do: you can chill out with friends, grab boba, watch a movie, stay in and play board games, go out, etc. The possibilities are endless even though it doesn’t seem like it. It’s also an amazing way to make connections and explore the city!

Good note-taking skills can help you more than you know:

If you are like me and take hours to actually understand concepts, then you know the frustration that comes with going to classes and then getting lost mid-lecture because you did not review the material before-hand and did not take efficient notes afterwards. Let me save you time! Always, always, ALWAYS go over the material before it is lectured over and take notes. That way, when you come to class, you’ll know the material and it’ll just be a review and some extra information that you can add to your pre-taken notes. This saved me from falling behind in my classes and helped me prepare for exams so I wasn’t rushing last minute to try and cram all of the material. I recommend getting an iPad if you can afford it because most professor will post slides before lecture and it is a great way to get familiar with the concepts. Once you’ve looked over slides, you can import them into a note-taking app and write directly on the slides. If paper and pencil is what you are working with, no problem at all. You can read the textbook on the material and make your own notes, or you can print out the slides and write on them. You will save so much time and energy if you apply these skills! Good luck!

I am a college student interested in Human Biology and Creative Writing. In my free time, I love writing poetry and I cover topics such as mental health, racism, global, and social justice issues! Being a writer for her campus inspires me to keep writing!