mini heart shaped waffle maker, skincare set, and fuzzy slippers
Urban Outfitters, Sephora, Nordstrom, Canva

What to Do When You’re Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I get it. If you clicked on this article, you are either extremely bored, asking for a friend, or incredibly single and in need of some plans. Being single can definitely be a blessing in disguise, just imagine all the things you don’t have to do for someone else this year. At the end of the day, Valentine’s Day is the one day of the year that you can pour your love and affection onto a person of your choosing. Choose yourself! Put a smile on your face, make it a goal to prioritize yourself, and let’s get started with a list of things to do when you are single on Valentines Day.

1. Make a romantic dinner with your other single friends.

We all know it sounds cheesy, but expressing love for your friendships through food is the perfect way to spend this lovely capitalist holiday. Whether it be a steak and veggies followed with creme brulee or a nacho table followed with an array of Oreo flavors, it’s going to be a night to remember.

romantic dinner setting
Photo by TerriC from Pixabay

2. Practice some “self-care”.

I would continue by saying “go to a spa” or “paint your nails” but self-care is different for everyone. Maybe that means sitting in your bed and reading a book in the span of two hours or maybe that means letting loose and being your spontaneous self. Either way, spending enjoyable time with yourself and getting introspective can be the most affectionate and intimate experience.

Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

3. Go on a road-trip.

I mean, why not? Grab yourself and maybe a couple friends if you want (definitely not necessary) and go to random city 3-4 hours away and just vibe. Look at rocks, buy snacks at gas stations, and visit various locations and landmarks. It might be spontaneous and it may not scream “Valentine’s Day” but creating memories on a road-trip is definitely the move.

Picture of two friends in back of car
Photo by Richard Jaimes from Unsplash

4. Go shopping and splurge a little.

Go to your favorite outlets and buy what you feel. Go to your favorite coffee shop and take your time to explore. Valentine’s Day preaches love and self-confidence and nothing helps lift you up more than updating your wardrobe. Try visiting a perfume store, or maybe invest in some lingerie (and yes, you can wear lingerie). If you are trying to ball on a budget, go to a thrift store or try a DIY project at home. I love when a holiday gives me the excuse to bring out my creative side.

person holding assorted clothes in wooden hanger
Photo by Becca McHaffie from Unsplash

5. Have a photoshoot.

Dress cute, include pink and red hues in your outfit and surroundings and start taking pics. Gather some friends and click away. You don’t even have to post it on social media. But having photoshoots every now and then is a great reminder that you are doing the deed, living your life, doing your best, and understanding your worth. It’s a great way to boost your confidence and feel yourself. Just do it, trust me! 

Her Campus Media

6. Write love notes for the people that matter in your life.

This is by far my favorite thing to do. I love making people feel appreciated and you never know what a small meaningful note can do for someone. It doesn’t have to be long or sappy, as long as you write it with love! If you don’t want to write notes, you can make cupcakes or chocolate-covered strawberries and give those out instead. Use Valentine’s Day as a day to give back to others in your community.

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

I hope you use some of my ideas. Don’t forget to have the best Valentine’s Day ever!

I am a college student interested in Human Biology and Creative Writing. In my free time, I love writing poetry and I cover topics such as mental health, racism, global, and social justice issues! Being a writer for her campus inspires me to keep writing!