What to Do if You Can’t Party on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

While Halloween is often thought of as one of the best party times of the year, there are plenty of people that aren’t able to go out on October 31. Maybe you have to work the next morning, or have an 8 a.m., or maybe you’re just too tired to go out. After all, it is midterms season. If you aren’t willing to push yourself to go to a party, it can often feel like Halloween is a waste. This, however, doesn’t have to be the case.. Whatever reason you have for not going out, there are still some ways to have fun staying in.

Watch a Movie

Image Credit: Spirit of Halloweentown

This is a classic. There are hundreds of Halloween movies ranging from funny to terrifying, so there’s countless options regardless of what movie mood you’re in. Disney’s Halloween movies can put practically anyone in the Halloween spirit, but maybe you’re more of a horror fan. Whatever genre you’re looking for, chances are there’s a Halloween movie that matches your mood. It’s more fun if you’re able to get some friends together, but even if you can’t, there’s something about watching a Halloween movie that makes any night better. Here are some of the most iconic Halloween movies to watch if you aren’t able to go out.

Halloweentown

Hocus Pocus

Halloween

Monster House

Corpse Bride

The Addams Family

The Shining

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Twitches

Buy Candy

Image Credit: Giphy

It just isn’t Halloween without some kind of candy. If you aren’t going to a party where there’s plenty of sweets, take advantage of those day-of Halloween candy sales and buy yourself a bag of your favorite. This can make a boring night in a little more enjoyable while still channeling those childhood Halloween vibes. Plus, you’ll have leftover candy for after Halloween. Or maybe you’ll eat the whole bag on Halloween night. You do whatever makes you happy.

Carve a Pumpkin

Image Credit: Giphy

I’m diving deep into my childhood nostalgia with this one. I bet many of us can remember planning out the perfect pumpkin carving design, only for it to end up completely different because none of us could use a knife well. Well, I think it’s time to try again. If you can’t go out, then I say go all out while staying in. Come up with that perfect carving pattern and make it happen. Get festive! I have no idea how some people are so artistic with their carvings, but if you’re great at carving pumpkins, appreciate your talent, because all I can do is make triangle eyes and a crooked smile.

Make the Most of Your Halloween

It might feel like Halloween is ruined if you aren’t able to go out with your friends, but to those of you stuck at home on the 31st, I say make the most of it. You can still have a good time, even if the night is spent in your dorm or apartment. Whatever your plans for Halloween are, have a good time, and keep those spooky vibes going all day long.

Image Credit: Giphy

Kaitlin is currently a freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in Journalism and Strategic Communications. She is passionate about a wide variety of things including the environment, politics, space exploration, and, of course, writing. Prior to writing for Her Campus, Kaitlin was the Editor-in-Chief of her high school's newspaper and is looking forward to seeing what new opportunities lie ahead as a collegiate writer.