This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Many things begin to change when one becomes a university student. First, there is an absolute sense of overwhelming freedom which we can try to dive into too fast. Also the lack of homemade food is something that affects all of us. The rich taste of our mother’s food is no longer present in our daily lives, however in my time apart from my mother I have learned to have a little taste of my mother within me. Being a student that has a great deal on her plate I have learned to switch around one meal that can work as a sauce, a salad, and a full meal. Yes! I am talking about guacamole.

My personal favorite is the style in which my mother makes it. Note my mother and I are very scary beings in the kitchen, my mother in particular in how she makes guacamole. Many people use a spoon to squish the avocado and some even blend it, however my mother specifically requires you to use a fork. She states that a spoon does not leave chunks of avocado, thus there is no flavor. All in all her recipe is quite simple.

• Onion
  • Avocado
  • Lemon
  • Cilantro
  • milk (is optional)

In the end this is what we get, homemade wondrous guacamole!

(Photo Provided by Margarita)

In searching for more ways to eating guacamole, I have found for other great recipes.

Guacamole with mango!

(Photo Provided by Tumblr)

Guacamole with tomatoes!

(Photo Provided by Tumblr)

Guacamole with mango and pomegranate! 

(Photo Provided by Tumblr)

Guacamole with Rice!

(Photo Provided by Margarita)

There are many ways to have guacamole. In a few words you can personalize it, I have even had guacamole as a salad in which I have added lettuce and broccoli. Whenever you’re too tired to cook yourself some soup that requires 30-45 minutes, you can always make guacamole in any style you want and hopefully after a bit of guac your day and your stomach can feel better.

…or maybe you just want to make some guacamole for those mouthwatering tacos!

(Photo Provided by Tumblr)