This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Almost any woman can say that at some point they’ve had to deal with their pesky static charged hair. The irritating moments when it plasters to your face and totally frizzes out can leave you feeling defeated and enraged with the weather. Being forced to put your hair up just to keep it out of your face, or wearing headbands just to tame the mane are just the quick fixes we have settled for. But I’m here to share a few tips and tricks to combat this unfortunate hair dilemma from the root of the problem. 

1. Condition Your Hair: We all know that with the cold comes the dry air and the dryer hair. Nothing is more inviting of static than dry hair, so it’s time to stock up on your deep conditioners, serums and oil treatments to keep your hair moisturized and healthy. Here’s a great list of some awesome deep conditioners to consider this winter. 

2. Don’t Rule Out The Hairspray: Keep a travel size brush and hairspray for when you’re on the run. The hairspray doesn’t have enough alcohol content to dry out the hair further and its perfect to hold those pesky flyaways in place. Spritz a little on your brush and comb it out as usual. It’ll work as your quick fix to finish out your day and will leave your hair looking natural and healthy. 

3. Use an Anti-Static Spray: These sprays will fight static throughout the day and will also benefit your dry hair in many ways, keeping it beautiful and healthy through the winter. Try Morrocan Oil Frizz Control Spray or Oribe Cote d’Azur Hair Refresher for starters; these are great products that have gotten some awesome feedback. 

4. Use a Good Old Dryer Sheet: This is an old trick that most mothers will pass down. Whether you rub it directly on the strands or over your comb, these sheets can save the day. 

5. Avoid plastic combs: Try metal or wooden combs rather than plastic to help eliminate some of the pesky static from your hair. 

6. Just Braid It: Worst case scenarios, just throw your hair up or pin it down somehow. Sometimes we just don’t even want to deal with it and this is a simple a quick fix that sometimes we just have to settle for.