Spoon Csu-Assorted Doughnuts
Spoon Csu-Assorted Doughnuts
Brook Buchan / Spoon

Trick or Treat: Review of Dunkin’s Halloween Lineup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Controversial opinion: when it comes to the holidays, Dunkin’ takes the cake. You can argue about how great Starbucks Christmas drinks are, but nothing can compare to Dunkin’. Holidays, big or small, Dunkin’ will go all out and that dedication is why they are number one in my eyes.

Halloween is no different, adding three returning favorites to their menu. Despite my love for their commitment to holidays, this year their spooky treats didn’t quite hit for me. Below are my thoughts.

Peanut Butter Cup Macchiato

If there is one thing Dunkin’ loves, it is a holiday macchiato. For Saint Patrick’s Day they released their Shamrock Macchiato and a couple years ago they featured a Pink Velvet Macchiato for Valentine’s Day. I was a BIG fan of those drinks so I had high hopes for the Peanut Butter Cup version. Sadly, I didn’t like it. 

Now, if you’re a true Dunkin’ fan you know their coffee drinks can be very hit or miss. So, I don’t know if this was just a fluke drink or if it wasn’t my taste. I thought the espresso tasted burnt and my biggest complaint is that I couldn’t taste the peanut butter cup. You can’t have a peanut butter cup macchiato without peanut butter flavoring.

Dunk-O-Lantern Donut

If you’ve been on Dunkin’ TikTok you might have seen videos making fun of this donut. The poor little Jack-O-Lantern faces have been all a mess. I will give the employees a break because I could not imagine having to create a detailed face on hundreds of donuts. 

The donut itself was good, but not great. It was just your stereotypical run-of-the-mill vanilla-filled donut. While it was nothing special, it was festive so I’ll give it points for that.

Spider Donut

This was 100% my favorite Halloween item they had. First it was so cute. It was an orange frosted donut, with a chocolate munchkin on top (it’s a donut hole) and brown frosting to make spider legs.

Similar to the Dunk-O-Lantern donut, taste wise it wasn’t special. The concept was cute and creative though. It does cost more than their normal donuts due to the munchkin, so be prepared.

This year’s Dunkin’ Halloween lineup might not have impressed me, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try it. So treat yourself to some festive goodies this Halloween before it’s too late!

Hanna Brown is the writing director at the Her Campus at KU (University of Kansas) chapter. She oversees the writing team and acts as the publisher, ensuring all articles meet the Her Campus standards of quality and reverence. In addition to her duties as the publisher, Hanna leads weekly writer meetings and builds a safe environment where writers feel empowered to be creative. Beyond Her Campus, Hanna is the marketing/communication assistant for the Engineering Career Center at KU. Last summer, Hanna interned for Burns & McDonnell as a marketing writer/editor. There, she gained experience writing technical blogs centered around engineering, copy for digital marketing and new releases. She also interned for Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline in corporate communications. A senior at KU, Hanna is pursuing a BSJ in digital marketing communications, advertising and public relations with a minor in history. In her free time, Hanna loves to visit local coffee shops and explore her college town. She is obsessed with the Sims 4 and wants to start a podcast. Her motivation in life is to do everything in love. After college, Hanna hopes to move to the city and start a career in public relations, branding, digital marketing or copy/content writing.