Trends You Forgot About That Were Popular During Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
Photo by Kon Karampelas on Unsplash

Life is returning to somewhat of a new-normal and it is crazy to think about how last year at this time, people from all over the world were trying to decide how to spend their time due to being confined in their homes. From marathon walks to baking banana bread for the third time; let us take a walk down memory lane and reminisce on all things lockdown. 

When the first stay-at-home order went into effect, I found myself researching new recipes and baking a lot with my sisters. We baked a variety of different bakery items, and like everyone else around the country, we tried to perfect banana bread. I would have never considered myself a big fan of the bread before lockdown; however, banana bread had a serious shining moment. There are several different ways to bake banana bread, but I found myself using this recipe the most from All Recipes that includes just enough sour cream to make it the perfect texture.

close-up of sliced loaf of bread on oval wooden plate
Photo by Marta Dzedyshko from Pexels

Due to my excessive baking in the kitchen, I also dedicated multiple times throughout the day to go for a walk. I am pretty sure my family dog hid on purpose every time she heard the door open, she’d think to herself; “Oh dear lord, please not another walk”.  It was a breath of fresh air, and a much needed break from my family, to stroll throughout the neighborhood. According to The Washington Post, walking not only helps relieve stress, but it also helps reduce risk with heart disease, strokes, and Type-2 diabetes. So, if you haven’t gone for your daily walk yet, this is a sign to go stroll and take in the fresh air. 

Along with walking and baking, how could I ever forget about the good ole’ whipped coffee trend that took TikTok by a storm? I am a pretty basic coffee drinker; just drip-coffee and a splash of cream and I will be set, but I had to try the whipped coffee recipe to see what all of the ruckus was about. On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the best coffee I have ever had in my life; this coffee was a solid four. The taste was not the best, and the prep work was too complicated for my taste that it just did not make it worth it in the end. 

Latte in mug
Photo by Christiana Rivers from Unsplash
Between the baking, the walking, and the abundant family time, let us never forget the iconic TikTok dances that kept us staring at our screens for too many hours at a time. The lively choreography allowed individuals to practice social distancing, yet enjoy collaborating or trying new dance moves that were trending all around the world. Whether you were jamming out to “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion or “Say So” by Doja Cat; you cannot tell me there was not at least one point where the whole family was dancing in front of the screen in the living room.

Hey :) I'm Lauren and I am senior at the University of Kansas! When I am not writing for HER Campus, you can find me spending time with my friends and family, enjoying the outdoors, or drinking too much coffee ;)