This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Every generation has their image that, while trendy at the time, comes back to haunt them. The 80s had bright colors and big hair, the 90s had their bomber jackets and plaid flannel shirts, and even the 2000s fashion trends are being cemented with Y2K themed parties that feature low-rise jeans, teeny sunglasses, and a personal favorite, the almighty flip phone. I look at movies from these decades or even my parents old high school pictures and can’t help but ask “what were they thinking?” I guess it was cool for the time, but seriously, they didn’t at all find drop crotch MC Hammer pants a bit out there? Like I said, all trends come back at some point to be mocked at by the generation that didn’t experience them. Even though all of these are current trends (most I even participate in), I am placing my bets now that these will be the cringey trademarks of my time that my kids will not understand.

Long decorative nails

Acrylic nails have been all the rage for years now and I can see why. They definitely give the impression of being classy and having your life together. But as much as I love having an almond shaped brown acrylic set, future generations are not going to understand the appeal. The length, the colors and the PRICE all are definitely going to send shock waves.

chunky and platform shoes

The platform Converse, Doc Martins, FILAs are all a big hit, but I gotta say I don’t understand it. Maybe it’s because I am more of a function over fashion kind of gal and can’t imagine clomping around in heavy clown shoes every day. I get that they look cute, but is it worth it?

Biker Shorts

This ridicule will stem from two places. First, the design of the biker shorts. The thick compression around the stomach to compact all of your insides and basically act as shapewear will so be cancelled by the time my kids come around. But even more so biker shorts’ design will be made fun of for the scrunch of the material in the crack of the shorts that is meant to literally separate the cheeks. The second source of ridicule will be for the audacity of us to have worn them in public settings. I don’t think it’s a big deal now, but maybe skin tight shorts won’t be as accepted in the future.

Sad Music

There is a reason artists like Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Conan Gray and so many others soar to the top charts every time they put out new music. Gen Z looooooves a good heartbreak record. My theory is that we all clung to emotional pieces during the pandemic as a form of release and have kept streaming ever since. So many chart toppers are written from a place of hurt and it’s sad so many people identify with that emotion. But hopefully generations who stand in tranquility and happiness can look back and not understand the sadness. That is one trend I don’t mind not being passed down.

Taupe/Nude color pallets

The downfall of nude color schemes is upon us, but there are a few still holding on. When this trend finally crumbles, people will look back and gawk at the amount of tan, brown, white, and beige in our decor. The complaint will be that things with this color scheme are “just too plain.” Lots of bright colors and patterns will replace the staple of the calm color schemes we have today.

Big key chain accessories

Your key ring has one function: to hold your keys. But not for this generation. Pepper spray, a hoop wristlet, your airpod case, a tassel, your initials, and a random trinket from that one vacation do not all need to be on the same one-inch ring. They’re clunky, loud and obnoxious yet we still find a way to lose them.

Huge Water bottles

Society has progressed from the Swell, to the Yeti, to the Hydro Flask, and we’re currently settled as being the Sisterhood of the Stanley Cup. But who knows, by the time this article is out, there may be a new 60 dollar water bottle TikTok has sunk its teeth into. It’s not only the speed at which everybody flocks to a new water bottle, but it’s also the massive size. These forty ounce, metal weapons maybe fit comfortably in your cup holder, but they will absolutely weigh you down walking up your campus’s hills.

Junior studying English with a minor in Spanish at the University of Kansas. Enneagram 2w3 who is a lover of snacks, big dogs, books, and Matthew McConaughey.