Treat Your Skin Right this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The wintertime is wonderful so many reasons: food, parties, lights, no school. However, one thing that winter can be harsh on for Collegiettes is their skin. Last week, Her Campus KU hosted the Treat Yourself event at Marinello’s, where more than 100 Collegiettes came and got a free manicure or facial! I was lucky enough to get to sit down with Sue Meidinger, School Director of Marinello’s in Lawrence, to talk about how girls can take care of their skin this winter!

So what do we do that hurts our skin? Sue says everyday things like taking hot showers or turning up our heat too high can really dry out our skin. She also mentioned that blow drying our hair and not giving ourselves time to moisturize every can really hurt us.

However, she had some great tips to help even when we aren’t the nicest to our skin! One major thing ladies can do to help out their skin is staying hydrated. Her suggestion for making sure you’re getting the correct amount of water each day is to take your body weight and divide it by two—that number is how many ounces of water Collegiettes should drink every day. Also making sure that sure that you’re using an SPF in your daily moisturizer because those have vitamin C &E and they’re the most beneficial for your skin. Remember as well, Marinello’s has three different types of express facials for only $15 (pro tip: take your KU ID in and you can get 25 percent off any service—plus, you can pay in Beak ‘Em Bucks)! I was treated to one of these facials during the Treat Yourself event, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING. So relaxing, and my skin felt great for days after.

Sue did make it clear that you do NOT have to spend a ton of money to get great skin- in fact, she shared two awesome DIY recipes for a face mask and body scrub to use all winter long! Check these out!

Face Mask:

Ingredients:

3-4 tablespoons Greek yogurt

1 probiotic capsule (can buy at any health food store)

Directions:

Mix together and apply with cotton balls, let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry

Body scrub

Ingredients:

¼ cup of honey

½ cup brown sugar

1 cup coconut oil

Directions:

Mix together, apply to skin and rinse and pat dry

Now that you’ve gotten some tips from a pro, make sure to take care of your skin this break and check out  all the services Marinello’s Beauty School has to offer!

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.