Top Six Reasons to Watch Critical Role

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This really dope, nerdy company called Geek and Sundry produces a Twitch show called Critical Role where a bunch of talented voice actors go on improv adventures in a fantasy world full of intrigue, dungeons, and dragons. Okay, so they sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons for hours every Thursday night, but I promise it’s entertaining. Here is a list of the top six reasons you should spend more than 350 hours (yes, hours) of your life catching up on Critical Role.

1. Strong Female Characters

The fantasy genre is sort of known for including very few women, let alone women of substance. Not so with Critical Role. Three of the most physically (and magically) powerful women exist as main characters in this universe, but more than that Vex, Keyleth, and Pike are flawed and interesting. Almost like *gasp* real women. Not to mention the other completely badass lady minor characters.

2. LGBTQ+ Representation

The “kill your gays” trope is pretty much completely inverted to “save your gays” in this show. I can’t think of a single main character who is completely straight, and there are very few side characters who aren’t somewhere on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. Representation from all sides, folks. And none among them a stereotype.

3. Storytelling

Matthew Mercer, the Dungeon Master of the show, can paint a word picture like none other. From a cerulean palace bastion in the middle of a desert to a horrifying sea of undead monsters, Mercer’s storytelling places you right there next to the characters in every scene. He is also the king of plot twists that stem from decisions that the characters made in the past, which are the best kinds of plot twists.

4. Character Interactions

Being the incredible actors they are, this team of nerds can make you laugh and cry within the same five-minute space of time. Each character has their own voice (literally) and they interact with each other in such complex, realistic, and often hilarious ways.

5. Shenanigans

One of the best things about Dungeons & Dragons is random and surprising nature. A player can attempt to do literally anything their heart desires, but their success or failure is determined by random dice rolls. In a world of magic, this means that occasionally characters will use their magical abilities to win a swimming pool cannonball contest, and sometimes they will disguise themselves as a flying squadron of cows. It’s always surprising, and always a good time.

6. Fan Community

Along with being incredibly supportive and generous to the cast, each other, and a whole host of charities that the cast supports, they are also unbelievably talented. From beautiful fan art, to short films and music compositions based on the show, you will be constantly blown away by the talent in this community. The inside-jokes are also on point.

(Source 1) (Source 2) (Source 3) (Source 4) (Source 5) (Source 6) (Source 7)

Maggie Williams is an English and Creative Writing major at the University of Kansas. She is an aspiring novelist, hermit, and musical enthusiast who spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about stand-up comedy, Dungeons and Dragons, and ice cream. She's honestly just a joy. You can follow her at https://twitter.com/Maggie5533 or at https://adventuresandstorytelling.wordpress.com/ where she doesn't speak in third person (she promises).