Things To Do When You Stay at College for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Having to go back to your hometown for the summer is honestly one of the worst feelings ever. This year I have the opposite problem. I’m so excited that I get to stay in my college town this summer, but most of my friends still have to go back to their hometowns. While staying in Lawrence allows me to be closer to most of my friend’s hometowns, I’m going to have to get creative with what to do while they’re gone.

Image credit

1. Volunteer. Growing up, I did a lot of volunteer projects, and I always felt so great after. There’s a lot of places that you can volunteer over the summer, like animal shelters or women’s shelters.

2. Act like a tourist. Even though I’ve lived here for two years, there’s a lot of places in Lawrence that I haven’t visited yet. Break your habit of always going to The Burger Stand and try something new.

Image credit

3. Learn a new skill. Without classes, homework, and studying, we all have plenty of free time in the summer. Instead of binging Netflix every afternoon, take that time to learn something new, like cooking an amazing meal or getting better at photography.

4. Take a trip. Getting away from home for a while can be really refreshing, and it doesn’t have to be an extravagant, expensive vacation. Even just a day trip to a town or city nearby can be a lot of fun!

Image credit

5. Save some money. Summer is the perfect time to find a job and save up a lot of money. With so many students leaving for summer, there are always plenty of places hiring. You’ll thank yourself when everyone wants to hit all the bars as soon as they get back in August.

6. Relax. We all know there’s never time to relax during the school year. Enjoy being in the sun, take all the naps you wish you could’ve taken during class, and pamper yourself whenever possible.

Hi I'm Ally! I'm studying journalism and dance at the University of Kansas.