This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

After the crazy year that was 2020, this summer felt like a well-deserved respite. For many, vaccinations brought hope for family gatherings, pool parties and a greater return to normalcy. Summer to me always seems to exist in my memories with a soundtrack—a collection of songs released over the sunshine months that, upon future listen, make me feel nostalgic for all the adventures, sunsets and music-blaring drives with friends. So, what is the soundtrack for Summer 2021? I turned to Spotify’s Global Summer Recap to see what people were listening to around the world, which artists were on the rise, and the overall vibe of the summer.

“good 4 u” by Olivia Rodrigo

I don’t think this is a surprise to anyone, however even I was shocked that the song had accumulated 600 million streams on Spotify since its release in May. Olivia Rodrigo’s upbeat song is reminiscent of the early 2000s teenage punk scene (hello y2k fashion!) and features a rhythmic bassline, electric guitars and drums. With her recent performance at the VMAs, it is clear to see that this 18-year-old powerhouse is here to stay. Her music seems to fit right into the teen pop culture aesthetic, incorporating both the old and the new to create music that everyone can sing along to.

“Beggin” by Måneskin

I personally wasn’t sure that I had heard this song (I don’t have a TikTok and therefore miss out on many viral hits), however upon listening it felt eerily familiar. As I researched into it further, their hit is a cover of the 1967 Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons song by the same title. The Måneskin cover ranks among the 20 most popular songs in the world right now and even momentarily knocked Rodrigo’s hit off the top for daily streams. Many news outlets covering the band are claiming them to be Italy’s first rock band to hit the charts worldwide. In a digital age where music can be accessed from every corner of the world, it is exciting to see new international artists dominate the charts among mainstream listeners. The cover itself is everything you want in a good rock song—all the angst, gritty vocal and upbeat tempo required for a good time.

“Todo De Ti” by Rauw Alejandro

Coming in at 3rd place among Spotify’s most streamed songs is “Todo De Ti” by Puerto Rican singer Rauw Alejandro, and this is another song that I was unfamiliar with. The song itself came out in May and entered the Billboard Hot 100 where it reached number 32 (it made it into the top 3 for Latin Songs). The song incorporates both 80s funk and new wave synth for a fun summer pop song. Unlike some of the angst of the previous songs, Alejandro creates a fun beat that it just as easy to listen to as it is to dance to.

“MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” by Lil Nas X

I don’t think anyone is surprised to see this song make it onto the list. Coming in at 47 million streams and landing Lil Nas X his second number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, the song features an electropop sound with a flamenco twist. The song itself generated controversy due to its explicit music video, however much of the hate seems misdirected. Featuring queer themes in its lyricism, the song has helped to push the boundaries for the mainstream regarding sex, the queer community and music. In the end, it is a fun song and cements Lil Nas X as more than a one-hit wonder.

“Kiss Me More (feat. SZA)” by Doja Cat

This should not come as a surprise to anyone, right? Doja Cat and SZA’s hot summer single combines both disco and rap to create a unique summer vibe. Sampling the chorus from Olivia Newton-John’s 1981 single “Physical,” the song charted in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 for twenty weeks (holding the title for most consecutive weeks for an all-female top 10 hit). The song itself playfully juxtaposes the bawdier lyrics of 2021 hip hop with the disco funk of the 1980s to create something both old and new but entirely fresh.

Honorable Mentions:

“Levitating (feat. DaBaby)” by Dua Lipa

“Butter” by BTS

“Peaches (feat. Daniel Caesar & Giveon)” by Justin Bieber

Mallory Wells is a senior studying psychology at the University of Kansas. She is a lover of contemporary fiction, milk tea, and picnics with friends.