Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus

The Most Forgettable Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This year’s Met Gala was short of spectacular and here’s why …

The Met Gala is a very exclusive and prestigious event almost equivalent to the Oscars, but for fashion. However, this year many renowned attendees were nowhere to be found. Today we talk about the hits and misses of the world’s most forgettable Met Gala.

To begin, I am a college student who wears legging and oversized graphic tees everyday to class. I have no room to judge but I have the words.

raphael lovaski pxax5WuM7eY unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

1. The HOsts.

This year the Met Gala was hosted by Timothée Chalamet, Billie Eilish, Amanda Gorman and Naomi Osaka. The theme for this year was, I guess you could say was “American Fashion.”

Timothée Chalamet

This look was by far one of my favorites. The Converse threw me off at first, BUT it dawned on me that Converse are a staple in American Fashion. The white balances well and, in my opinion, he can do no wrong.

Billie Eilish

Billie looked STUNNING!!! I loved this look on her but it wasn’t one that stood out to me. It was elegant and gave off Marilyn Monroe vibes and completely fit the theme to a tee.

Amanda Gorman

The blue color looks amazing on her and she genuinely looks happy.

2. The Best Dressed Attendees

Many of our favorites, like Zendaya or Blake Lively, were absent this year, but some people found a way to still show out.

1. Yara Shahidi

This was EASILY the most unforgettable look of the event. The accessories, the hair, the makeup all come together to literally make her glow. I love the dress. I love her. Need I say more?

2. Hunter Schafer

The dress is simple yet pleasing to the eye. Needless to say, the dress does not make the look. The eye accessory, hands down, saved this look. The contacts and headpiece make it look so sophisticated. She did so well for her first gala.

3. KEndall Jenner

She never fails. Hands down will always deliver.

3. The worst Dressed Attendees

I blame this all on the stylists …

1. Kim Kardashian

Speechless and not in a good way.

2. Ethan Mock

This look reminds me of a video game character. The spikes and mask along with the knee length shorts just don’t give fashion. The mixed and match socks definitely do not help either. NEXT!

3. Shawn Mendes

I have no idea what the inspiration for this look is nor what it possibly could be. This look is new for him; he’s usually reserved, but the suspenders with the low-rise pants and the gigantic necklace cause an imbalance of attention.

3. Honorable Mentions

Anok yai, Emma Chamberlain, Iman, Zoe Kravitz and Normani provided the looks that will go down in Met Gala History.

The Met Gala was way below my expectations this year. All in ALL, each look was unique to each stylist and model. I look forward to next year and hope to see many of the Met Vets return.

I am a Freshman majoring in Psychology who loves sharing my many opinions on pop culture.