Pills Spilling
Pills Spilling
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon
Culture > News

The Double Standard of Olympic Drug Testing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The Olympics, established in 1896, are meant to showcase the incredible talent of the world’s athletes in a positive manner. However, the last several games have had more headlines of controversy than the events themselves. The wild drug-powered training regime of many athletes and the discrimination of women and POC more often capture the media’s attention. Recent scandals in both the past summer and winter Olympics have again shown flaws in the athletes being treated as real humans. 

Sha’carri Richardson

21-year-old Sha’carri Richardson made national headlines during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic trials by placing first in the women’s 100 meter event. Richardson was set to represent Team USA as a first time Olympian. However, a drug test identifying marijuana use barred her from competing. Richardson addressed the presence of marijuana in her system by explaining to authorities that it was used to cope with the recent loss of her biological mother. She acquired marijuana in Oregon, a state where the drug is fully legal. Nonetheless, she still received a one month suspension from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which removed her from competing. 

Media caught wind of this story and outrage rose. Olympians, congressmen, celebrities and professional athletes all publicly denounced the Olympic suspension. Comedian, actor, writer and famed stoner Seth Rogen took to Twitter to show his disagreement with the actions that were “rooted in hatred.” He states this fiasco is “something [the IOC] should be ashamed of,” and further criticizes the claim of marijuana being a performance enhancing drug with the comment “if weed made you fast, I’d be FloJo.”

Kamila Valieva

Fast forward to February 2022, and decisions regarding a new Olympic doping scandal reveal the hypocrisy of Olympic drug testing. 15-year-old Kamila Valieva was predicted to bring a gold medal home to Russia for women’s figure skating. However, following a week of controversy surrounding the athlete’s failed drug test, Valieva placed fourth. The teenager’s sample showed the banned medication trimetazidine: a heart medication that can improve endurance by increasing blood flow to the heart. Circumstances surrounding Valieva being a minor provoked the IOC’s Disciplinary Chair to allow her to compete. 

The Hypocracy Between Them

Why do these two cases comparatively make headlines? Because the outcomes starkly contrast each other. Richardson was not allowed to compete due to traces of a legal, nonperformance enhancing drug, while Valieva skated after testing positive for a drug that gave her a physical advantage. The double standard is visible, and becomes more problematic when race is accounted for. After Valieva’s ruling, Richardson took to Twitter to question why she was not allowed to compete if the skater was. Also being a top contender at the center of a drug scandal, the only difference Richardson could find was the fact that she is “a black young lady”. 

Both the discriminatory ruling against Richardson and the drug abuse endured by Valieva her coahces demonstrate the exploitation of Olympians. Manipulation of these young aspiring athletes is a common practice that needs to be shown and reprimanded. 

Junior studying English with a minor in Spanish at the University of Kansas. Enneagram 2w3 who is a lover of snacks, big dogs, books, and Matthew McConaughey.