This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I never really thought that I would turn out to be a cat person.

I have always heard the moniker “crazy old cat lady” and I wasn’t particularly fond of the idea, or process, by which someone becomes one. However, I am now a cat mother and let me sum up my experience for you.

I’ve always had dogs, and I’m talking about the epitome of canines, like a Golden Retriever. The idea of a dog doesn’t translate better to any other breed. Golden Retrievers are smart, highly energetic and capable of anything they set their minds to. So, in my experience of having family dogs like that, I never thought I would want a cat.

I often wondered what cats really did anyways, and I never had any friends growing up that had cats so how would I know?

As it turns out, I would make the rash decision of getting a cat.

This sounds sudden, but let me set a scene for you first. Let’s rewind to March 2020. If you shuddered, I don’t blame you. COVID had just graced the global main stage, and I was forced to deal with the devastating news that my senior year of high school was over. You know, the whole “Hi guys, you actually won’t be returning from Spring Break” thing. So, when dealt this hand by the universe, I decided to spice up my life a little bit.

I irrationally decided that I wanted a cat, keep in mind I’m literally allergic to cats. So, after I talk my parents into it, via PowerPoint presentation, I’m given the green light to select a tiny bundle of fur to bring home.

I picked out my now-fur friend Finn. Let me tell you something no one will warn you about cats, they are terrifying. I had Finn home for maybe two days before he started climbing up miscellaneous surfaces and hiding under furniture in hopes of clawing my ankles.

I’ve been aware that animals have different personalities for a very long time, but cats take those personalities to a different level. I would describe it as having a little person who lives in your house, expects you to feed and water them, and demands of you to give them attention but only when it’s convenient for them.

I love Finn more than anything in this world believe me, but he’s a menace. He does a very strange side-hopping motion that convinces me he is possessed by something demonic. My once-tiny kitten also loves water and will break into my shower, while in use, to play with it. I am afforded no privacy whatsoever, and he yells at me whenever he feels necessary.

At this point I’m convinced that my 2-year-old cat contains more sass than any human I know. Even though my cat is often evil, and very frequently terrifies me, I’ve never loved a pet the way I love him. If that fact makes me a “crazy old cat lady” so be it. I would encourage anyone to get a cat, because even though you might have a furry little monster on your hands, they will probably be one of the best pets you’ve ever had. Not to mention, a cat’s purring is said to lower stress, so be sure to include that on any hypothetical PowerPoints you may have to make.

Hey there, I'm Emeline! I'm a Kansas native, and a junior studying News & Information. When I'm not in lectures or doing assignments, I spend my free time hanging out with my cat and drinking way too much coffee. I'm extremely passionate about social issues, as well as writing and conspiracy theories.