This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I love TV shows and binge watching said shows, and I love documentaries. Docuseries are my lifeline and I think they are underrated. I spend way too much time watching them, especially because Netflix just has so many, so here is a list of the docuseries that I enjoy rewatching on Netflix.

Who Killed Malcolm x?

It’s hard to believe this docuseries is already two years old because of how vividly I remember watching it. This was released on Netflix in 2020 during Black History Month and is one of the best researched pieces of media I have ever seen. Abdur Rahman Muhammad, a historian and Malcolm X supporter, goes into detail of Malcolm X’s beliefs, family, the Civil Rights movement and, finally, what eventually led to his death. In fact, he does so much research that he figures out who actually is responsible for the murder of Malcolm X (in addition to the two already convicted murderers), and marks the relationship between the murders and the members of the Nation of Islam branch in Newark, NJ.

Hip Hop Evolution

There are four seasons of this Canadian music documentary, all streaming on Netflix. Hosted by Canadian rapper and radio personality Shad, this docuseries goes into detail about how hip hop got its start and how it has changed over time and even features the history of legendary hip hop groups, such as NWA, Run-DMC and the Sugarhill Gang.

Killer inside: The Mind of aaron Hernandez

This docuseries was controversial for many reasons (and rightly so), and was a spectacle on Twitter, but nevertheless, I found it really interesting and entertaining. This docuseries covers the trial of deceased NFL player Aaron Hernandez and his conviction for the murder of Odin Lloyd. Despite its flaws, Netflix managed to get different perspectives on topics such as CTE and homophobia, while giving the victim’s loved ones a platform. It’s very well made and sheds light on certain triggering (and relatively recent) issues without being insensitive.

JEFFREY Epstein: Filthy Rich

Just a few weeks before Epstein’s co-conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell was arrested for sex trafficking, this four-part docuseries, directed by Lisa Bryant, uncovered all the details of the Epstein case. What makes this docuseries particularly remarkable is that Epstein’s victims were the main contributors to the docuseries, touching on the horrors they were subjected to. A lot of the information in this Netflix series was well known to the public by this point, but being able to hear the victims themselves tell their story makes it all the more meaningful.

Turning point

Released the same week as the 20 year anniversary of 9/11, this Netflix docuseries does a great job discussing the politics behind 9/11 and the affect the wars had on people of the Middle East. According to the documentary, the turning point was not 9/11 as the title may suggest. In fact, the docuseries dives into the complicated history of Al-Qaeda and the US involvement in the funding of said terrorist group, along with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The most notable part for me was the fact that they managed to interview former (disputed) Afghan Prime Minister, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar. In addition to this, the docuseries features interviews from 9/11 survivors, US soldiers and Afghan soldiers, refugees, civilians, historians and many more.

The Last Dance

This ESPN-produced docuseries is one of my favorite docuseries of all time for many reasons. In addition to the amazing editing and exclusive footage provided, there are numerous interviews with NBA legend Michael Jordan (the focal point of the series). The Emmy-winning series touches on Jordan’s season playing with the Chicago Bulls. Even if you aren’t particularly interested in sports (or the history behind sports), anyone with Netflix or ESPN NEEDS to watch this. I know very little about athletes but watching this when it first came out was genuinely an amazing experience. In addition to Michael Jordan, The Last Dance features appearances from other NBA stars like Magic Johnson, Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley and other prominent people such as Nas, Justin Timberlake, FORMER US PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON??? ANOTHER FORMER US PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA????? (guys you really need to watch this).

Babies

I know not everyone likes babies as much as I do, but if you are interested in human development, science, psychology, or just like good shows, this Netflix docuseries is a must-watch. Other than the fact that you can stare at literally the cutest babies doing the cutest things ever, you get to learn why they’re so cute. (If you don’t like kids I guess you can learn why they’re annoying?)

Surviving R Kelly

As someone who has made their distaste for R. Kelly very clear, this docuseries was genuinely one of the most influential series I have ever seen, and I truly believe it is what led to R. Kelly finally being convicted after decades of abuse. Early 2019, Lifetime released a five-part documentary over three weekends, touching on R. Kelly’s crimes and featured perspectives from victims and those in R. Kelly’s circle. Later that year, a new special focused on the impact of the documentary came out, and in 2020, the second part that focused on new victims and R. Kelly’s arrest was released. All the documentaries are available on Netflix.

Cheer

I absolutely adore this docuseries for so many reasons. The cheerleaders of Navarro College are just so talented and entertaining to watch, and both seasons are really entertaining. If you don’t think cheer is a sport, a) you’re wrong and b) this will change your (wrong) opinion

The Movies that made us

If you’re a film enthusiast and you haven’t watched this, you need to ASAP. This docuseries spends each episode discussing an iconic movie in detail. I bet your favorite movie was covered on here. In addition to the movie itself, you get to learn some of what went on behind the scenes of each movie. For example, the first episode, which covers Dirty Dancing, touches on the drama between the costars. If that’s not your thing, you can learn about the special effects used in Jurassic Park, and so much more. There are three seasons so far, but hopefully more to come!

Hi! My name is Ananya and I'm a junior double majoring in Biology and Journalism and I am on the pre-med track. I'm really interested in pop culture, and I like to write about celebrities and fashion. I'm also the most opinionated person I know unfortunately so I have something to say about every form of media I consume, whether it be music, film, or books. In my free time, I like to watch movies and listen to music with my friends, go thrifting or window shopping and go on drives. I love meeting new people so I'm always joining clubs and organizations! I am President (or Campus Correspondent) of Her Campus KU, but I started out as a writer my freshman year since I was a fan of Her Campus articles when I was a senior in high school. I became the Vice President my sophomore year where I was in charge of attendance and the newsletter and now that I am president, I run the meetings every week! Other than Her Campus KU, I am a part of volunteer organizations on campus such as hiKU and Hearts for the Homeless, along with the pre-medical co-ed professional fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon where I am the social justice chair, and cultural organizations like Asian American Student Union (AASU) and South Asian Student Association (SASA).