The Best and Worst TikTok Food Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Worth It:

Pesto Eggs

This trend is the best of both worlds: easy and tasty. While putting pesto on eggs is nothing crazy or exciting, it is EGGceptional (don’t hate me). Additionally, out of all of the TikTok trends, this one seems to be the cheapest; a few eggs and pesto are not likely to break the bank. One little tip I would advise, however, is to stand back when the eggs are cooking; the oil can really pop out at you, so beware. 

The dynamic pasta duo: vodka and feta pasta

Coming from a college student living in a dorm with no access to a kitchen, I would die for either one of these pasta dishes at the moment. While these recipes take more time and work than the eggs, the added effort is 100 percent worth it. There’s nothing like warm carbs when it’s chilly outside. These dishes are perfect for a date night or a fun night in with friends. 

Emily Mariko’s salmon rice bowl

This dish is hands down the best TikTok trend to ever exist. I’m sure I speak for a large population of people when I say, “Thank you Emily Mariko.” I made this dish when I went home for fall break and let me tell you, it lives up to the hype. While this recipe is nowhere near the practicality level of the pesto eggs, considering salmon is expensive and there are at least six ingredients, this trend still outweighs any other recipe simply because of the flavor. (The seaweed pieces are a necessity by the way). This dish is a must try. 

Not Worth It:

Whipped coffee

This trend dominated my TikTok during the initial quarantine days. I am not going to lie, when made right, whipped coffee is very delicious. However, the truth is that this recipe is insanely time consuming. I cannot tell you how long it took me to make my coffee perfectly fluffy. And while that time commitment was fine during a quarantine period when everyone had too much time to waste, now, that’s exactly what this trend is: a waste of time. I’m not going to judge you if you absolutely love whipped coffee and enjoy making it, but I for one will not be whisking away at coffee grounds anytime soon.

Cotton candy burrito 

I will admit, I have never tried this trend; however, I also don’t plan on ever trying this trend. I love cotton candy and my friends can attest to my large sweet tooth, but this roll of cotton candy filled with ice cream and even more candy goes beyond my limits. In fact, I kind of want to throw up when I think about taking a bite. Props to you if you can enjoy this recipe, but I will be opting out of doubling my blood sugar levels. This trend is definitely one to sit out of.

Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Original photo by Macy Miskiewicz
Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)