The 5 Best RomComs for Your Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
  1. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

This 2000s movie is a classic. It’s funny, entertaining and light-hearted. Despite the film’s release date of 2003, the movie is still extremely popular today, especially for women in their teens and twenties. This popularity most likely stems from the film’s humorous plot: a man tries to make a woman fall in love with him for a bet while the woman, for an article, tries to make the man break up with her. It’s hilarious and definitely worth the watch. Plus, it stars Matthew McConaughey, so…I mean…come on.

1. Something Borrowed

Can you tell I love Kate Hudson? For someone who hates to re-watch movies, I have watched Something Borrowed three to four times in the last year; it never gets old. This film is the classic “girl and her best friend are in love with the same person” type deal. Besides the amazing cast (John Krasinski is in this just so you know), the movie itself is just extremely entertaining, though it does not require too much attention to detail. It’s an easy watch and one of my absolute favorites. 

1. Set it Up

Hear me out. I know Netflix Originals can be hit or miss, but Set it Up deserves more recognition. First of all, the acting is actually pretty good; I don’t think I cringed once for the whole hour and 45 minutes. Secondly, the plot isn’t one of those cheesy, overdone storylines; it’s pretty original. Two overworked assistants set up their bosses in an attempt to loosen up their work schedules. I don’t want to spoil anything, but maybe another love story happens in the midst of the set up…I don’t know. You’ll have to watch it for yourself. 

1. Sabrina

I never hear anyone talking about this romcom, and I don’t know why. Sure this movie is a little older (it came out in 1995), but the age is part of the film’s character. I’m not talking about the Sabrina film with Audrey Hepburn either. This one stars the ever-so-handsome Harrison Ford (LOML). This film is a sort of coming-of-age movie. Sabrina is a squirrelly, meek girl who is in love with her high-profile, bachelor neighbor who offers Sabrina little attention. Her father sends her off to Paris for an internship where she finds herself, then comes back to a whole new world of opportunity. If you’re like me, you may be screaming at Sabrina for half the movie, but that’s half the fun.

1. About Time

I saved the best for last. I cannot exaggerate the extent to which I LOVE this movie. I will not give much detail on this film because you truly have to experience it for yourself, but laughs will be had and tears will be shed. To Margot Robbie, Rachel McAdams and Domhnall Gleeson—I love you all. Grab some tissues and some wine for this one.

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)