The 2021 Video Music Awards: What You Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
The outfits

Who needs an awards ceremony when you have the red carpet? Stars such as Olivia Rodrigo, Chloe x Halle, Lil Nas X and many others understood the assignment. See all the looks here.

Olivia Rodrigo stuns in Atelier Versace
Megan Fox and kourtney Kardashian as presenters

Their men might have been the ones on stage, but even Machine Gun Kelly and Travis Barker’s performance can’t beat the look on Kourtney Kardashian’s face when Megan Fox addressed the men as their future baby daddies!

Kourtney Kardashian and Megan Fox, presents the performance of their respective boyfriends, Travis Barker and MGK. MGK performed his single “Papercuts” while the former Blink-182 drummer played backup.
The wins

Some wins, like Doja Cat and SZA for “Best Collab,” and Olivia Rodrigo for “Best New Artist” made sense, while others … not so much. I love me some Harry Styles but I, along with many of his fans, were a bit shocked to see him win the Best Choreography award, despite not being a dancer. ESPECIALLY given the fact that he was up against BTS, the act that many people were betting on winning. Additionally, Justin Bieber winning Artist of the Year surprised a lot of stans, specifically the Swifties and Arianators, but it looks like the Beliebers came through for their fave and voted their hearts out.

Justin Bieber opens for the VMA’s, along with The Kid LAROI, to perform their hit “Stay”
Madonna’s still here

Madonna showed MTV that she’s still standing after all these years. Madonna has had many iconic and controversial moments at the VMAs, but this year, she proved that her age means nothing and rocked an outfit that embodied her confidence.

Madonna is no stranger to controversy, and ended up embracing that aspect of her while dazzling in a burlesque-inspired look
the McGregor and mgk fight

Something that I did not expect to happen in 2021 was a UFC fighter throwing drinks (and hands!) at Machine Gun Kelly. But here we are. While we don’t know what prompted the fight, we do know that no one got seriously hurt. That doesn’t change the fact that people are still extremely curious to see what exactly went down, and what the two stars think of each other at the moment.

Sources say McGregor threw the first punch, but others say that MGK provoked him first
Doja cat being doja cat
Doja Cat’s “chicken feet” outfit is said to be inspired by a tweet a fan made, weeks prior to the event

This year’s host, Doja Cat, is a woman of many talents. She killed it on the red carpet, killed her performance, and was just a super fun host in general. That’s not the most notable part about her night though. Doja had six outfits, and as the night progressed, the outfits got crazier. She even ended up accepting her award dressed as a worm!

Normani’s Tribute to janet jackson

The princess paid tribute to the queen in one of the best performances of the night. At the end of Normani’s “Wild Side” performance, Normani danced on with Teyana Taylor, resulting in comparisons to Janet Jackson’s performance of “Would You Mind.”

Along with the Janet Jackson influences, Normani also took inspiration from one of her idols, Aaliyah
lil nas x gives his speech

Anyone who’s anyone knows who Lil Nas X is, and has heard and seen the music video for Montero (Call Me By Your Name). Whether you think the music video was controversial or iconic, the VMAs made sure to acknowledge it, as it was nominated for multiple awards that night. Lil Nas X ended up taking home an award, and in his speech he gave a shoutout and thanked the “gay agenda,” proving he doesn’t care about what people say about him. He is here to stay and be himself for a long time.

Lil Nas X accepts the award for Video of the Year
Hi! My name is Ananya and I'm a junior double majoring in Biology and Journalism and I am on the pre-med track. I'm really interested in pop culture, and I like to write about celebrities and fashion. I'm also the most opinionated person I know unfortunately so I have something to say about every form of media I consume, whether it be music, film, or books. In my free time, I like to watch movies and listen to music with my friends, go thrifting or window shopping and go on drives. I love meeting new people so I'm always joining clubs and organizations! I am President (or Campus Correspondent) of Her Campus KU, but I started out as a writer my freshman year since I was a fan of Her Campus articles when I was a senior in high school. I became the Vice President my sophomore year where I was in charge of attendance and the newsletter and now that I am president, I run the meetings every week! Other than Her Campus KU, I am a part of volunteer organizations on campus such as hiKU and Hearts for the Homeless, along with the pre-medical co-ed professional fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon where I am the social justice chair, and cultural organizations like Asian American Student Union (AASU) and South Asian Student Association (SASA).