This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I found out quickly college will never be an equal balance of work and play. To me, it feels like one hour of play for every 10 hours of work. That is something no one will tell you when you move your entire closet into your 3×4 dorm closet. Leave those trendy, one season clothes behind and stick to the basics with a few statement pieces. Whether you’re still making it through the best four years of your life or the real world has come your way, fashion doesn’t have to stray away when you’re working an 8-5 job. Check out these simple transitions from work to play with common closet staples.

The Oxford

At work: The oxford is a common closet blouse and a must have for fashion savvy busy bees. Considering the oxford is so versatile, it is easy to take it from work to play in a quick change. Start with a statement necklace you can envision in both environments to dress up a plain oxford. I love lacey skirts, but any business casual skirt in general will work with an oxford. I chose a coral color for contrast and finished off the look with nude heels. 

At play: High-waisted is in again, cue the 90’s. I love my black, high waisted pants from ASOS.com! Jeffrey Campbell is my number one shoe designer; check out these weaved Lita’s that are my prized possession accompanied by another winter trend: fur. This fur vest was given to me for Christmas and comes from Banana Republic.

Little Black Dress

At work: Okay, so this may be an easy one, but the little black dress is a must for simple, classic style that is extremely versatile. The key to remember is material. Usually I think of denim or leather for going out which is why I chose these two looks for the transitions. I am blessed with a business casual dress code that enables me to look professional while still maintain my style, hence the kimono. It covers the shoulders while still showing off the classic LBD. With a simple necklace and shoes it is perfect for a day on the job.

At play: I love my denim vest and have paired it with my LBD numerous times. I chose a statement necklace and heels to give a little pop of color and shine to a classic girl’s night out ensemble.

Business Skirt

At Work: The business skirt can be tricky, the name itself limits the outfit! Keep it neutral and simple with white and beige undertones for the top and simple flats for shoes. 

At play: Sass your skirt up with a sexy pair of heels with a top to match. Stick to darker colors so it doesn’t look too much like the office look, and live it up!

Nude Flats

At work: Nude flats are another easy transition item. Start the day with a simple, button up top and slacks. A statement necklace is a fun way to add a little personal sparkle to often drab work attire. 

At play: Switch to your sassy side when the clock strikes 10 with a crop and bandage skirt. Be fierce with a statement necklace but keep it safe and comfy with your trusty pair of flats!