Super Sunday: 5 Ways to Make Your Sunday More Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Sunday is often one of the most underrated days of the week. Depending on religion, profession or even personal preference, Sundays are seen as a day of worship, a day of rest, a day of work or a day to get your life together. Personally, I like to combine all of these notions and make for one big Super Sunday! The idea that Sunday is the last day of the week made for lazing around and not washing your hair is a tempting one, but it may help you to think of Sunday as the first day of the week. This can be the day to get organized and set the tone for the rest of the work week. Here is a list of five things that I absolutely must do after my morning of worship and brunch with my friends.

1. Planner

If you’re like me, you understand on a spiritual level why this item is listed as No. 1 on Sunday’s to-do list. Having a rough structure of my week is so important! It allows me to mark off the times that I know I’m unavailable because of studying, classes and work and add in time for things like having lunch with friends or filling out internship applications. If I get this done early on in the week, when Monday rolls around and I’m asked to work an event or attend a meeting, it takes no time at all to check if I actually do have the time. 

2. Meal prep/Grocery shopping

I like to do my grocery shopping on either Saturday or Sunday and prefer to meal prep as soon as I get them home so the groceries are still fresh — and I don’t have to worry about doing it later! If you live in the dorm you likely have a meal plan, which is a lifesaver in the middle of the week when you don’t want to fix dinner. Some universities have a variety of meal plan options — mine works so that I can eat dinner every night at the dining hall, and two meals a day on weekends. With this plan, I am responsible for breakfast, lunch and snacks during the week, which makes it easier to keep on track with health goals! If you spend the extra time on Sunday preparing your meals for the week, it makes it that much easier to make a healthy choice when you’re rushing out the door to class or work on Monday morning.

3. Homework

I always feel like I get the most work done whenever I’ve been the most productive, so when Sunday evening rolls around, it’s best to look over your workload for the week. I like to at least start on my assignments so I know what to expect for the week — and you’ll have less work to do when you come back to them later! 

4. Laundry

In the world of college dorms, everyone — and I mean everyone — does their laundry on Sunday. If you don’t believe me, just try scoring a washer or dryer at any time of the day on Sunday. My favorite time to do my laundry is on Saturday. Laundry rooms are almost completely clear and you get your pick of the litter, plus your friends can join you and it can just be a big laundry party! However, Saturdays are pretty busy for all of us, so I save folding and putting away for Sundays. This gives you time to organize, rearrange or even clean out your wardrobe if you so choose. Let’s be honest though, you can fix that pair of shoes that have come un-soled at least one more time

5. Email

For some, checking email is like a religion. For others, your account can go days — weeks, even — without being checked, and before you know it there are 526 items in your inbox and about 43 are marked as important. Sunday is a perfect day to get rid of the clutter that takes over your inbox. Who knows, with all of those mailing lists you signed up for so you could get 15 percent off may even have sent you ANOTHER coupon!