The story of my dog’s 5th birthday party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Recently, my dog, Bailey, turned five. So, naturally, we decided to throw her a party.

First on the list of invites was Bailey’s favorite dog friend, Baxter, a 3-year-old Wheaton Terrier with energy levels almost as high as his mom, sophomore Rachey Harvey. Rachel and Baxter brought with them UMKC student Ashley Sterbach and her dog, Tootsie. Rachel (in case you were wondering, yes, the same Rachel) came armed with home-made doggie cupcakes and I handed each guest a doggie goody bag.

Rachel, Moriyah, Ashley and I spent the next hour watching these three very excited dogs run around the backyard, eat doggie cupcake upon doggie cupcake and paw endlessly at their owner-inflicted party hat. Rachel’s dog-themed playlist included the Baha Men’s “Who Let the Dogs Out,” Florence + The Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over” and Elvis Presley’s “Hound Dog.” After a good amount of romping around out back, we all piled into cars and went out to Mutt Run Offleash Dog Park by Clinton Lake.

Baxter Harvey

Tootsie Sterbach

Bailey, Baxter, and Tootsie at the Clinton Lake Dog Park

Bailey went home afterward and prompty passed out on my bed. I’ll take that as a sign of a job well done.

photo sources: Rachel Harvey, Moriyah Ramberg, Ashley Sterbach

Libby Flood is in her final year of study at the University of Kansas, where she is pursuing degrees in History and Journalism. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she serves as an Ambassador for KU's Office of Study Abroad and recently spent two months completing an internship at the Centre for Investigative Journalism in London, United Kingdom. Her favorite things include travel, her dog and Pinot Grigio. To see her complete portfolio or to find contact information, visit www.libbyflood.com. Follow on Twitter, Instagram or Linkedin