This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Ever since winter break, I was able to have more free time to hang out with my friends, watch Netflix, workout, read, journal, but most of all, spend more time on TikTok. I hate to admit it, but I kind of have an addiction with the app and should honestly delete it. Yet, I still have the app and try to manage my time well so I’m not on it for over an hour every day. 

Being on TikTok for such a long time isn’t a great habit but after spending so much time on it, I started to see users whose content I really enjoyed. I love watching trending content and hearing the funny and mind-blowing stories that people share, but one huge aspect I enjoy about the app is the positivity and energy people give one another. A girl I started following made an impact on me and how I look at myself in a positive aspect and I wanted to share who this girl is. 

The girl I started watching over break has made an influence on a lot of girls and women and she definitely made me realize that I am beautiful just the way I am. The tiktoker is 17-year-old Sienna Mae Gomez. She is teenager who went viral on TikTok after spreading body positivity dance videos. She is known for her squirrel dance but mainly gained so much attention because of the uplifting content she created for her followers. 

As a teenager sharing stories and realistic images of her body type, she has supported many girls through the app by telling them that everyone’s bodies are beautiful no matter how they appear. She showed her followers how girls can appear two different ways just by posing in different ways in her favorite bikinis and outfits. She has videos of her posing in different positions to show that allow she also has thick thighs, body rolls, a bloated stomach, or cellulite like other women. It is not uncommon and she wants to let people know that being confidence in yourself can help you be happy and proud of the body you have. She has given realistic point of views of her body to show her followers that her body can look differently just depending on her posture. 

myths about gymming, women in fitness 3
Photo by Szabolcs Toth from Unsplash
Gomez has shared how she has grown her confidence in herself and has made video duets of her reacting to her followers’ videos. She has some videos of herself showing people what she eats on a regular basis and eats in front of her camera so her followers could eat with her. She has been showing support of girls eating meals three times a day and sends positive vibes who comment how their confidence has grown since following her. People shouldn’t be skipping meals just to lose weight and she has said she’d been happy to see her followers eating because food keeps them energized

She has even shown her followers videos of how much she weighs on the scale to promote that a number shouldn’t define a person and that gaining weight in a healthy manner is normal. She posted a video of herself on the scale during the winter and showed that she gained ten pounds but is happy with her new weight. Even though her weight increased, she is still a confident woman who loves herself and body. 

Bowl of chia seed pudding topped with fruit
Photo by Jannis Brandt from Unsplash

Gomez also has positive videos of herself sharing message that confidence starts with believing in yourself. One video I enjoy watching from her is about positive affirmation. I agree that if people feel good about themselves, others will see them the same way because they believe in themselves. There are a lot of unrealistic standards that a lot of women see daily and she wants to let people know that they shouldn’t be so focused on trying to look and be that stereotype. While expressing herself, she has posted multiple videos of her doing power walks and dances that make her feel good while showing off her figure. Showing what women’s bodies look like realistically has helped other young girls be more confident and comfortable with their own bodies. 

While promoting her message, Gomez even created her own clothing merchandise named Confidence is Cute in October in 2020. Gomez has created her own clothing with her message and has gotten great feedback from her followers. She thinks the message, “confidence is cute”, is very important and relays the message across her social media platforms. She has created new merchandise and even has an image on a hoodie of herself sitting down with her body rolls showing. The image connects with her message of embracing her own body because she is confident and happy with the figure she has. 

woman smiling at reflection in mirror
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

I have enjoyed all of her content because she has reminded me that I should be happy with and have confidence in myself. As a person who has been always self-conscious about my appearance and weight, I have stopped comparing myself to others and believing in unrealistic standards. I have gradually started treating myself to three meals a day and have been trying to be as active as I can to be the best, healthiest version of myself. I always thought I didn’t have the ideal body type but now realize if I am happy with who I am and appear, I shouldn’t care about what others think. I have gained more confidence in myself and believe receiving all the messages helped me realize how I could build my own self-confidence. 

I want to relay her message to whoever is reading this and hope you can gain self-confidence and be happy with yourself. I started watching out for what I eat, staying active, not weighing myself constantly, and doing what makes my body feel good. I will tell you right now, I am not a fan of dieting or running, but I have found various ways to substitute them to keep myself healthy and happy. I hope you can do the same and find both Sienna’s and my message to be happy with the best version of yourself!

Hi, I'm Wonbin Park. I'm currently a senior studying Journalism and Photography major at the University of Kansas. I have a passion for photography and writing and hope to become a photojournalist in the future! My hobbies include photography, drinking coffee, watching K-Dramas with my friends and family!