Spring Break Activities Without a Beach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

​Spring break is here and that means that a lot of us will be hitting the beach. Better temperatures, a laid-back agenda and a total lack of schoolwork- what’s not to love about a week on a coast? 

Some of us will not be walking on sand though. Maybe you opted for a less tropical destination or maybe you’re headed home for a week. Wherever you’re going to end up, there are ways to spice up your days off without being anywhere near the ocean! 

​1. Go to a concert. 

Live music is never a bad idea. Check to see if anyone you’re super into will be making a nearby stop or even try a new band you’ve never heard before. Either way, you’ll have a great time and won’t have to spend a single minute of it thinking about the homework you’re neglecting. 

(Image source: festival-pier-penns-landing-new-crtsy-festival-pier-2200x1237px.jpg)

2. Find a new museum, bar or coffee shop.

Go off the beaten path and find somewhere that tourists wouldn’t typically frequent. Even a city that you’re totally familiar with could have hidden gems you haven’t visited yet. Wherever you are, go out of your way to hang out somewhere you normally wouldn’t. It’s always great to add to your list of places that you love! 

(Image source: FYZr.gif)

3. Take a day trip. 

If you’re homeward bound for your week away, you don’t have to spend the entire week there! Grab a friend or two and explore the closest big city, lake or ​attraction. Vacations are still vacations even if they only last a day. 

(Image so​urce: d7e1be03a1901c4e677f085f9900a6fa99c79662

4. Go visit a friend who isn’t on break. 

Perhaps you’re the only person in your friend group on their way home, or maybe the city you’re on your way to explore happens to be close to a school that your other friends attend. Stop by for a weekend and see them! It’s the perfect time to spend time with your friends without worrying about getting back to school. 

(Image credit: giphy.gif)

5. When in doubt, hit your favorite restaurants. 

I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite parts of planning a vacation is figuring out the crucial restaurants of my destination. Now is the time to eat the way you don’t get to at school (let’s face it, the bar is pretty low when it comes to the diet of a college student). So what if you come back to school a few pounds heavier? The spring break bod means different things for everyone. You’ve earned it.

(Image source: giphy.gif)

Lucie (originally from Tulsa, OK) is a fourth-year journalism major at KU. Her favorite things include (but are not limited to) coffee, new music, life in LFK, and every dog in existence (they are all good dogs). While being involved in a handful of student organizations on campus, HerCampus was her first step into campus involvement and she absolutely loves everything it has to offer. She is ecstatic to be HerCampus KU's content copyeditor.