SPOTLIGHT ON MUSIC: LANA DEL REY

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Reviewing her grammy nominated album Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

I am an avid Spotify user as much as the next person, and I like to explore new genres and create new playlists ALL the time. My current favorite artists include (but are not limited to) Frank Ocean, Steve Lacy, SZA, Phoebe Bridgers, and Ethel Cain. But one artist’s discography I have never fully listened to is Lana Del Rey. After watching the results of the 2024 Grammys, I finally decided to give her music a try.

So, on February 9th, 2024, I decided to listen to her most recent album titled Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd. I’ve decided to rank each song from my least favorite to my most favorite:

16 – Judah Smith Interlude and 15 – Jon Batiste Interlude

In terms of listening to music, I usually skip interludes and or/don’t add them to a playlist, but it depends on if I like it or not. I think when listening to an album straight down, interludes are a great stylistic choice and way to include new sounds outside of songs with lyrics, but I don’t usually add many interludes to playlists.

14 – Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)

The end of this song is funny to me because there are TikToks about some of the lyrics, so I always associate the song with that instead of its real meaning. It isn’t a bad song, it just isn’t my vibe. I like the incorporation of electronic-based instrumentals instead of strings/piano.

13 – Taco Truck x VB

I don’t listen to this song that much, but again, I like the unique sound to it. I prefer the sadder songs, but maybe I’ll change my mind in the future.

12 – Sweet

I like the instrumentals in this song as well as the lyrics too. It isn’t my most favorite on the album, and I also have to be in a certain mood to listen to it all the way through. It is sad!

11 – Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

I like the vibes of this song, but I haven’t listened to it as often. I hear the chorus of the song frequently on TikTok. It is iconic though.

10 – Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)

I love the piano in the background of this song, as well as how each of their voices mesh with the music. I like the variation in tempo at the end of the song. Bonus points for catchy songs that are riddled with deeper meanings (I love when artists do this). Jon Batiste and Lana Del Rey’s voices complement each other quite well.

9 – Fingertips

These lyrics are about grieving and moving on, which is 1) hard to do, and 2) something I personally relate to. The orchestral instruments and notes are very beautiful. I have no notes, but I will say I have to be in a certain mood to be able to get through this song without crying.

8 – The Grants

I like this song, especially as the first song on the album. It is a song I would add to my playlist that I fall asleep to. It is very relaxing to listen to. It is also really melancholy/somber, so I avoid listening to it so I don’t make myself sad.

7 – Fishtail

This song symbolizes childhood and care via braiding hair. It is nostalgic sounding but also incorporates a different beat compared to the other songs on the album. I think it is a refreshing incorporation.

6 – Margaret (feat. Bleachers)

The lore behind this song is so interesting. I would love if any artist made a song that was meant to be played at my wedding. How sweet.

5 – Let the Light In (feat. Father John Misty)

I like this song, but I hear it a lot on TikTok, so I do not listen to it that much. Lana Del Rey’s and Father John Misty’s voices work really well together. This song is iconic.

4 – A&W

I like the rhythm of the song and the vocals. I like how each of the instruments meshes with each other. Bonus points for the beat change towards the end.

3 – Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)

I love piano so much. I also recognized this melody before I heard this song, which made it more intriguing. There are multiple motifs in this song, like Venice Beach, “when you know you know,” etc. The lyrics are melancholic, but the song sounds more light-hearted, which is a unique combination.

2 – Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep sea fishing (feat. RIOPY)

Don’t let the title of the song fool you! It is unique, but the song is really good in my opinion. I love the notes and the lyrics too. I have no notes, I just love it so much.

1 – Kintsugi

I love a good sad song (if you couldn’t tell based on my favorite artists). The first time I heard this song I TEARED UP while doing homework. The chords, the piano, the lyrics, her voice, ALL a 10/10. I also love when songs have whistling in it. The motif of “letting the light in” is also continued in this song. Kintsugi is a type of Japanese pottery that emphasizes repairing broken pieces, embracing the cracks instead of concealing them. More info about the symbolism can be found on Genius, which I recommend looking into.

I'm Jayme Pickering, and I am a first year English major and History minor, and I am on the pre-law track at the University of Kansas. I am a member of the HCKU Writing Committee, the KU Marching Jayhawks, the honorary band fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi, and the pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta.