Style > Decor

Simple Ways to Refresh Your Room While You’re Stuck at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Lately, we’ve all been spending a little more time at home than we’re used to and, after a while, those four familiar walls of your bedroom can start to look like the most boring scenery ever. Trust me, I’m with you. Although we can’t go through the same room-flip journey as we would without a pandemic upon us, there are still things to be done to make your room feel like new. 

1. Rearrange the Furniture 

This might seem obvious, but it’s a big one. I’m sure everyone has done this at least once, but try to really think outside the box this time and arrange your furniture in a way you’ve never done it before. It’ll feel like an entirely new space and walking into your new room will feel like a breath of fresh air.

2. Marie Condo this B*tch

At the beginning of this pandemic, one thing I did to feel in control was to go through my closet and figure out what I didn’t need anymore. It seemed like a scary feat at first, but it became addicting once I saw how much space I was opening up in my room. I ended up getting rid of almost half of my clothing and donated all that I couldn’t sell at a consignment store.

3. Switch Up Your Gallery Wall

Swapping out the pictures on your wall can give you a new mindset as they bring new memories and emotions to the surface. Those old motivational quotes you hung up months ago might be better replaced by some words of inspiration that are more useful to you in the present. 

4. Lighten Up

Something as simple as adding more light to your room can help bring up the mood in your area. Lamps, LED strips and *twinkle lights* would all be great for this. Another trick is to hang a mirror in your room; the existing light in the space will reflect off of the mirror and create a brighter, more open look. 

5. Deep Clean

I’m talking vacuum, duster, window cleaner, the works. It’s always nice to have a clean room, give that gift to yourself (you deserve it). Also, a clean room can lead to a clean mind and we could all use a little bit of that right now.

Hello! I am currently a student at the University of Kansas majoring in Journalism and studying strategic communications, business and photography. Welcome to my Her Campus page, stay awhile!