The Sexist Truth Behind the Boycott on Captain Marvel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

In 2016 it was announced to the world that Brie Larson, a famous and extremely outspoken feminist Hollywood actress, was set to play the leading role of Carol Danvers, A.K.A Captain Marvel, in the new and exciting MCU film, Captain Marvel. As exciting as it should have been that the MCU franchise was producing their first woman-led superhero movie ever, many were outraged. However, as this outrage was expressed, it became abundantly clear that it was mainly coming from one specific group- misogynistic white men. A huge reason for this was because of how outspoken, uncensored and unapologetic Larson has always been about her feminist ways. She has proved to the public time and time again that she has never been one to back down in her fight for equality for all genders and races, something that this group has proven to not be very fond of.

The next two years following the announcement from MCU, Larson spent her days working on set and rigorously training in the gym (and gaining 15 pounds of muscle) for this movie. Finally in 2018, Marvel released the first trailer for the Captain Marvel movie. While women and little girls around the world were more than ecstatic and excited to once again see a strong female superhero take over the big screen, it was the same group of white misogynistic men that were not, and they had something to say about it.

Quickly following the trailer release, this group started responding with messages that all followed along the same sexist lines that almost every woman has heard at least once in their life such as, “You (Larson) would be so much prettier if you smiled more” and “You look too serious, maybe I’d see the movie if you frowned less and smiled more.” Larson, never one to let this group have the last word, responded with a very witty message of her own by posting the following pictures to her instagram story.

When asked about this in an interview that took place shortly after she posted this, Larson told her interviewer that this movie was not made for white men. She, her costars and those behind the camera doing their part, did not do everything that they did to prepare and make this movie the best it could be to make them happy. They, whether these men can believe it or not, were not the target audience in mind when bringing this strong female role to life, and if they aren’t happy with that, then so be it, but she doesn’t really give a shit.

Of course her posts and interview were quickly responded to when many from this group took to the internet once again. All of a sudden there were posts everywhere relentlessly and continuously body-shaming Larson for having a flat chest and butt and not filling out her superhero suit sexily enough. They then victimized themselves by saying that Brie Larson is racist against white men.

The movie came out on March 8, 2019, International Women’s Day. On this day, this group who had continued to scrutinize Larson, called for a boycott on the Captain Marvel film, refusing to watch her in theaters (as if she even cares). Much to their disappointment though (I’m sure), this movie broke several box office records in the United States and around the world as people fell in line to praise the movie that continues to break the sexist mold.

Hello all! My name is Emma Verdonik and I am a senior in her final year of studying at the University of Kansas. I am an English major who loves writing about all sorts of subjects and wants you to read what I have to say. Enjoy!