Seven Must-See Movies This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

A perfect way to spend this semester is by going to the movies, and it definitely doesn’t matter with who! With so many options, it can be really hard choosing a movie to watch. Especially with so many that may catch your attention. Here are a few movies to look forward to this semester!

1. Pompeii (February 21)

This movie is a mixture of action, adventure and drama. It is about a gladiator who is trying to save his beloved from a Roman Senator. Not only does he have to worry about the senator, who is also corrupt, but a volcano that erupts, leaving him even less time to rescue his love.

2. Mr. Peabody & Sherman (March 7)

Now this is an animated movie filled with comedy and adventure. It revolves around Mr. Peabody, a dog, and Sherman, his adopted son. They must race against time to fix the damage that has been done to history. During the voyage, they not only go back in time but also get to meet many amazing characters of different time periods all by using his invention, a time machine. In the end, all that matters is saving the future.

3. 300 Rise of an Empire (March 7)

This movie is all action and war with a bit of drama mixed up in there. Themistokles is the main character in this. He is a Greek general who is leading the fight against Persian forces who are invading. Not to mention, they are lead by Artemisia and Xerxes.

4. Divergent (March 21)

Another action movie that is filled with not only adventure but also romance. Beatrice Prior’s life is in danger when her kind is being terminated. This is set in a futuristic time and due to her kind being special, there are people who don’t exactly feel okay with that and work to eliminate her kind.

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 4)

I’m really excited for this movie to come out! The first movie was pretty good and I know this one will be just as good. Captain America, Steve Rogers, gets to battle a new villain who is known as the Winter Soldier.

6. The Amazing Spiderman 2 (May 2) 

This movie is, of course, all about Peter Parker, better known as Spiderman. He has to deal with Oscorp, a company that sends plenty of super villains to fight him. Here we get to meet a new villain, Electro and an old friend as well, Harry Osborn. 

7. Maleficent (May 30)

Even though I am looking forward to all these movies, I am looking forward to this movie the most. This is the tale of Sleeping Beauty but with a special twist: it’s told from Maleficent’s point of view. We get to learn of how she became who she is now and the reason behind her poisoning the princess Aurora when she met her. 

These are only a few movies to look forward to and there are so many more but I would have never been done had I written about them all! I just handpicked a few that come out not only in the next few months but also a few that will be coming out pretty soon!

Ashley Ponce-Cardenas is a junior majoring in Business Adminsitration at the University of Kansas.