This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As Spooky Season dawns upon us, I’ve taken a little time to reflect on movies that radiate scary vibes. These movies can also take up some time in the days until Halloween arrives if you’d like to watch them or re-watch them I suppose. I’m an avid horror movie fan, and nothing really upsets my stomach unless it’s one of the movies I’ve mentioned down below. However, I enjoy a good night in, cuddled up in a blanket or four, and watching horror movies with no concerns about going to bed directly after. This may frighten you, but fear not, some of these movies are a lot more menacing. I’ve ranked them starting with my favorite, and ending with my honorable mentions. Also, even though I don’t agree with the Rotten Tomatoes “Tomatometer” scores on quite a few of these films, I will be including them for reference.

Top 5

1. Scream (1996)

“What’s your favorite scary movie?” I’ll give you the simple answer, this one right here. It is hands down the best scary movie you could ever watch. I’m not just favoriting Scream because it’s an easy classic in the horror movie industry, it’s just a superb movie. Scream to some might not be all that scary, but it’s excellently crafted. The dramatic irony within the film as viewers are trying to figure out who could possibly be Ghostface is simply unmatched. Believe me now when I say I will show my future children this movie at least 10 times every year during the month of October.

(Tomatometer Score: 79%)

• The Shining (1980)

Ahh Stephen King, how I love you so. Fittingly enough, my second favorite horror movie was adapted from a book written by my favorite author of all time. The Shining is another one of those classic horror movies that if you haven’t watched it yet, set down your device and pick up a TV remote. Once again, the suspense in this movie is unparalleled and accompanied by eye pleasing visuals. It also features one of the most iconic carpet patterns and twin sister duos of all time. I could go on talking forever about this movie, especially with the amazing acting contributed by Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall, who helped catapult this movie into cinematic fame. However, now I’ll drown out the “Here’s Johnny” playing on a loop in my head and move on to the next.

(Tomatometer Score: 84%)

• Get Out (2017)

Even though Jordan Peele may have gained his celebrity through the TV series Key and Peele, with other voiceover appearances in movies, he elevated his talent in film direction and screenwriting. When this critically acclaimed movie premiered, it left audiences including myself in utter disbelief that a psychological thriller could be so perfectly executed. The plot line instilled in this movie is just as unsettling as the on-screen visuals and leaves audiences constantly questioning what will happen next. To put it shortly, this is not just a movie but a work of art that only gains more appreciation over time.

(Tomatometer Score: 98%)

Get Out with Jordan Peele
Universal Pictures
  • A Quiet Place (2018)

This movie is for the dystopian society trope lovers. A Quiet Place centers around a family doing its best to live a normal life in a world that has been turned upside down by sound-triggered aliens. If you love John Krasinski, more famously known for his role as Jim in The Office, I have good news for you. Krasinski actually starred in, directed and contributed to the screenplay of this film. The other thing that boosts this thriller into my coveted horror movies is the sound effects. I know you might be thinking about how most horror movies involve a lot of screaming and eerie creaks and shuffles, however this movie (in its majority) is completely silent. This goes to create the ambiance of the quiet and fearful lifestyle the characters live, as they try to survive the alien invasion looming over their heads.

(Tomatometer Score: 96%)

• Midsommar (2019)

Last but not least, I present to you Midsommar. Remember earlier when I said that I’m not typically one to quiver at gruesome graphics in a movie? I’ll redact that statement, but solely for this movie, and this one alone. I appreciate Midsommar for its gorgeous shooting style, and because Florence Pugh takes on the lead role. However, this movie falls into last place on my favorites list for a couple reasons. Firstly, it’s more gross than scary. There are two scenes in particular that make my stomach turn in this movie and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch them in full attentiveness ever again. Secondly, the plot line is an absolute mess. The audience almost has to piece together small happenings in this movie to make them work, where the bigger scenes are more cohesive. If a jigsaw puzzle was a movie, it would be this one.

(Tomatometer Score: 83%)

Honorable Mentions

• Jennifer’s Body (2009)

All I have to say is I’m obsessed with Megan Fox, especially with her appearance in this cult classic. Jennifer’s Body is a comfort movie to me, honestly. It doesn’t make my final five just because it’s really not that scary, and I appreciate a good horror movie whether it be psychologically thrilling, disturbing or a traditional jump scare. I’m also convinced that if you haven’t watched this movie you’re delusional, and how boring has your life been since you haven’t witnessed this masterpiece? Amanda Seyfried also contributes to the acting success displayed in this movie. It’s a must watch, whether you like demon/vampire movies or not. Also, remember you should never, under no circumstance, hold a lighter up to your tongue. I’m not saying that for safety reasons, it’s just a casual reminder to save you from embarrassment when you realize you’ll never look as good as Megan Fox when she did it.

(Tomatometer Score: 45%)

• Jaws (1975)

You might laugh at this one and that’s perfectly fine. I don’t consider Jaws to be a traditional horror movie, nonetheless it will be included. Not only is this another critically acclaimed film, but it’s also another classic. If you’re noticing a trend here, and it’s that I love classic horror movies, you’re extremely spot on. Now let me tell you why this is one of my other favorites. Honestly, I just love the idea of a huge shark ruining everyone’s day. Sharks are always made out to be villainous creatures, but they’re actually not that aggressive towards humans naturally. It also provokes my questioning of what we know about the oceans and how big they are, which in itself scares me. So after seeing this film, do you still want to go deep sea fishing? I’ll let you know that I sure don’t.

(Tomatometer Score: 98%)

Now that I’ve let you in on the inner workings of my future movie critic mind, go have a movie night! There are tons of gruesome, thrilling, bed-wetting movies to see out there and you should probably start your own list if you’re a Spooky Season fanatic like me. Don’t make yourself scared of the dark, and I’ll catch you later ghouls.

Hey there, I'm Emeline! I'm a Kansas native, and a junior studying News & Information. When I'm not in lectures or doing assignments, I spend my free time hanging out with my cat and drinking way too much coffee. I'm extremely passionate about social issues, as well as writing and conspiracy theories.