Sarahanne Yeo ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Sarahanne Yeo

Age: 19

Hometown: Olathe

Why did you choose KU?

That’s such a hard question… Let’s venture back to senior year me. I’d been pulling my hair out filling out applications for colleges and scholarships. I think the goal was to go somewhere that would feel like home. And my home now is so beautiful. Seriously. It doesn’t even need an Instagram filter. 

What do you do for work?

I’m a KU Writing Center Writing consultant. So basically I’m a superhero that wears cardigans. I feel like it’s much like as if spell check were a therapist and totally revamped and complex and also a human being. We’ll listen to you, we help with spelling/grammar and things far beyond that.  I love it. I love the different people I get to meet everyday. Reading about the ideas, the curiosities that us college students have. It’s grand to be able to see just how beautiful everyone’s minds are and how much work they put into their essays and papers. And the people I work with… I could write novels. They’re all such gems — genuine and valuable in every way. I’m so lucky to be able to work in a job that challenges me, lets me do something I love with people I love. Gahhh, cheesy. I might seriously cry. So #blessed. 

Favorite thing to do in Lawrence?

I don’t really have one lone thing that I really like to do. I really like to get on Mass street, see a concert…. perhaps go across the street and buy cool socks. I also really like stopping people on Jayhawk Boulevard and asking to pet their dogs. 

Favorite subject and why?

My favorite subject… I guess I really like ENGL 351 this year. It’s Fiction Writing I. Totally recommend this, even if you’re not an English major. What I really like about this class is that everyone is chill and intensely creative. I’ve read everything from stories about UFOs, vampire ship captains, a moose in a Walgreens… what have you. The people in this class is full of badass authors that I’ve been lucky to be acquainted. I think I’ve really improved as a writer as well in this class. The class that is its equal is probably Japanese. Such a beautiful language. I’m head over heels with the culture and the scenery. I feel like I’ve been slowly improving. I hope one day to return and see my friends there. I miss them. It affects me in a completely different way than 351.  

Best part of college?

I could just state my go-to, which would be pizza at 2 a.m. 

But the best part would have to be just all the things that I’ve learned. Whether it’s academic or simply things like remembering to remember everything my roommate’s done for me or sending my mum a card every now and then… super cheesy yet again, but I swear, I am a cheese omelet of a person. I’ve learned so much these two years about facing adversity and good times that have built me into this dynamic human being. And I’ve loved just being. Being here and being able to expand.