This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The rush to get Costco pumpkin pie has become a tradition for my family for the past few years. Every Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving Thursday, my mother and father, my brothers and I will wake up early and get to Costco as it opens, ready to secure our pie.

I don’t know when it first became a tradition, or if it can even really be considered one, but it’s something I look forward to every year. I hate waking up before 10 a.m. but I would not miss this moment with my family.

Costco pumpkin pie is my favorite pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. It’s huge and only $5.99. It lasts me days after Thanksgiving to finish off, but the pie is my favorite breakfast for the week after Thanksgiving. My family agrees, and we would probably get it even if for some reason we didn’t need a pumpkin pie for dessert. But I’m glad we do, so I can enjoy the amazing Costco pumpkin pie.

If you’ve read my articles before, I’ve written another article about how pumpkin pie is the best pie out there. I talked about spices, texture, preparation, and seasonal value. I love pumpkin pie so much, and I will stand against anyone that even suggests otherwise. But I think one of the reasons I love it so much is because of what we go through to get one each Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Pie Side
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

I’m writing this article Wednesday, November 25th, the day before Thanksgiving. This morning, my mother, one of my brothers, and I got up early and booked our way over to Costco. We had to go when it first opened so we could make sure we got our pumpkin pie. They had plenty, like usual, so I don’t know why we rush, but it’s just part of our tradition. We get our cart, show them our card, and race towards the back near the baked goods.

On this day the only thing we get is a pumpkin and we get an apple pie while we’re there the Wednesday before. The store is packed with last-minute shoppers stocking up on large cans of green beans and other goods for the dinner. But everyone was in and out this year, quick. All masks and frantic shoppers. This year there were no samples out because of COVID, which made the Costco trip a little less fun compared to other trips when I was younger. (Everyone knows the best part of Costco is the samples.) 

There must have been one time when I was younger when they were out of pumpkin pie, but I can’t remember it. I’ve not asked my mom why we rush either. Maybe it’s just the thrill of waking up and going to get one, or maybe my mom just likes the tradition as well. Maybe it was done this year especially since it was the first day back from my first semester at college. I’m not sure why we rush, nor do I know anyone else who does. Yet, it’s one of the things I look forward to most during Thanksgiving break.

I remember one year when I was younger when we rushed into Costco, we ran into my grandparents and my aunts and cousins. It was such a strange occurrence, especially since we were all meeting for dinner the next day. A weird coincidence. I could see the pack of sweet potatoes my grandma needed for her sweet potato casserole. My aunt and uncles were buying rolls and butter. My cousins came with my brothers and me to try all the samples that were set out. It’s one of my favorites memories! 

holiday dinner buffet at home
Photo by Craig Adderley from Pexels

With COVID this year, Thanksgiving will be different for everyone. We went from hosting both sides of my family with over 25 people total to just the five of us, my intimate family. With me coming back from college and this risk of COVID and my grandparents, we can’t get together with everyone. We want to be safe and it’s sad, but it’s a must.

I won’t be able to see my grandparents or aunts or uncles or cousins like normal. There was no chance of us running into each of us during our Costco run this morning. No big family to share the pumpkin pie with. No gathering of people in my house, watching football before dinner. My family and I don’t need to scramble Thursday morning to figure out how we will fit 25 people in our house. Nothing is the same.

Yet that is why keeping up as many traditions as safely as you can is important. We went to Costco this morning, wearing masks, social distancing, in order to keep up our tradition of racing to Costco to get a pumpkin pie. Even with just the five of us, we still want a huge pumpkin pie just to ourselves to keep things as normal as possible. 

My family and I can celebrate together. I’m thankful we are all safe and healthy, and I wouldn’t want to change that for a normal Thanksgiving ever. I think everyone should be thankful for the little things. It’s been a tough year, a strange, rapidly changing one. We’ve all been hit left and right with new twists and hurt and change. So it’s our duty to find little things to do, little things to be thankful for. I’m thankful for pumpkin pie. I’m thankful for getting through my first semester of college. I’m thankful for my family. I’m thankful that at the end of the day, I’m healthy enough to be able to write this article. 

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. A safe, socially distanced Thanksgiving. It doesn’t matter if it was with just your family or yourself FaceTiming friends or something else. I hope everyone gave thanks and celebrated! And enjoyed some pumpkin pie!

Unsplash / Element 5

Hi! My name is Alex Corbin and I'm a sophomore at KU majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience in the Pre-Med track! I'm a huge movie and TV show fan, and my life has been taken over by TikTok. I hope you like reading my articles!