This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
Whether he’s up on stage drumming for his band Psychic Heat, shuffling among his fellow Jayhawks on campus or even traveling to various countries, Ricky Barkosky is a force to be reckoned with, and a name you’ll soon see in lights! As a 25-year-old Tucson native super senior majoring in Global and International Studies and minoring in German here at the University of Kansas, Ricky has made quite the mark on the Lawrence-area with his music. When I asked Ricky to talk about where he found his love of music, he responded:

“I started drumming when I was 16 years old, which is pretty late for most people. After I graduated from high school in Minnesota, I moved to South Korea with my parents, who are ex-pats. While I was there, I joined a band called ‘On Sparrow Hills.’ I lived there for about six months, and in that time we recorded an album at E Sounds Studios. I’d had bands before that, but that was my first real band. Like we actually recorded an album,  played shows and got paid.” 

And to think, this was just the beginning for Ricky! After bouncing around for a while and even attending the University of Arizona, Ricky moved to Lawrence in the fall of 2010. So what was it that initially interested him in KU, coming all the way from Arizona?

(Psychic Heat)

“I came up to Lawrence while I was on a trip to Amsterdam. My mom was living in Lawrence at the time, and she said ‘You know, before you go up to Amsterdam, you should really check out this college town. It’s not what you think Kansas would be.’ So I thought, OK, why not? I took a stroll down Mass Street, explored the town a little, and was hooked immediately. I thought ‘Well, I would like to stay here, but I have to get accepted into the University here.’ At the time, it was too late to apply for KU, but luckily, I’m a quarter Navajo. So I applied to Haskell Indian Nations University, spent my first year there, and then transferred here to KU immediatley. I took the year at Haskell to kind of inform myself about KU, and I came to find it was very prestigious, very academically inclined, and just a great school all around, so I knew I was making the right choice. I’ve now been coming here for about four years, and I’ve loved it. I’ve met some great friends here, and that sticks out as one of the most rewarding parts about coming here. You know what they say, ‘the friends you make in college are friends for life.’ But just in general, the people in Lawrence and the people here at KU are just so… nice. I know that’s a broad statement, but really. It doesn’t matter where you come from, if you’re here, you belong. It’s just been a great experience. Not to mention Lawrence is a great music town.”

(Psychic Heat. Left to right: Sam, Ricky, Tanner, Evan)

It’s clear that Ricky sought out his goal, did what he had to do, and ultimately, achieved it. He and so many other KU students have worked hard for their place and title of Jayhawk, and it’s heartwarming to hear about his determined spirit. And of course, as soon as Ricky showed up in Lawrence, he went right to searching for some musically-inclined friends.

“I put out a Craigslist ad (I’m all about class), I said ‘Hey, I just moved here, I’m a drummer, and I’m looking for someone to jam with. I also don’t have a drum set at the moment, so if you could help me out in that department that would be great.’ And I actually ended meeting a really great friend through that ad, Ron Miller (drummer for Kid Congo and The Pink Monkey Birds). Ron’s a very interesting character, and has been very influential for me. I consider him a mentor. He and I, and our mutual friend Adam Hess, formed what would be my first band in Lawrence, ‘Up the Academy.’ We recorded a few songs, made a seven-inch with Replay Records, but that band only lasted about three years. After Up the Academy disbanded, Ron referred me to my current band Psychic Heat. We just kind of met up, jammed and have been playing music ever since. We just recorded a new album called “Sunshower:” in April, which is in the process of being done and should be released early spring of 2015. It’s a full-length album. We recorded it all analog at Ron’s house. We’re also going to release a seven-inch vinyl soon with Replay Records. We actually just got back from Missouri where we toured.”

(Psychic Heat. Sam Boatright (bass guitar/vocals), Ricky Barkosky (drums/vocals), Tanner Spreer (guitar/vocals), Steve/Evan Herd (guitar/vocals))

It’s hard to believe how humble and easy-going Ricky is about how successful all his bands seem to be. They may not be playing any arenas quite yet, but mark my words, they’re on their way.
Before parting, I asked Ricky what his ultimate goal in life is, considering all the incredible things he’s already done. His response really hits the mark, and I believe many people will relate to exactly what he’s saying.

“I would like to just make a living playing music. I don’t need much, just a roof over my head, alright food to eat, some good friends, and great music to play. I want to make a good record before I die, or before I’m too old and too tired to go on the road. I’m terrified to get to that point in my life where I’m just too tired or too lazy to just sit down and get the inspiration to play music. I want as much as I can before that point. The way I see it, they say people in our generation aren’t going to be as ‘economically successful’ as our parents, that we’re not going to live as long as our parents, and whether that’s true or not, you only have one opportunity to do what you want in your life. You might not make money with that, but if I could do it and live off of it, I would be a very lucky and happy person.”

(Psychic Heat)

That right there is a person who truly loves what he does, and really, that’s all that matters. It’s inspiring to see a fellow KU student chase his passion and dreams so vehemently. Ricky’s band Psychic Heat has shows coming up on:

December 12 at The Replay Lounge with Cop Knock & CS Luxem. 

December 19 at Harlings in Kansas City with Red Kate & All Blood

December 31, New Years Eve, at The Replay Lounge with Hammerlord (however, Ricky will not be playing this show because he will be in Germany for the holidays). Kliph Scurlock, a very talented drummer who played for The Flaming Lips, will be playing drums for Psychic Heat instead.

If you’re interested in checking out any of Ricky’s bands you can follow them on Twitter @psychicheat or Instagram @psychicheatband. Here are some links to their music:

(Her Campus KU does not own any of these videos)

(Psychic Heat)

(Psychic Heat)

(Up the Academy)

(Up the Academy)

(On Sparrow Hills)
Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.