Restaurant Reviews: Ramen Bowls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

So the weather’s getting colder and colder, and what’s better than a big bowl of hot soup on a cold winter day?  If you’re looking for a place for deliciously warm food, look no further than Ramen Bowls, a ramen joint just off of Mass Street!  And no, this is not the 70 cent stuff you can get at Walmart, it’s MUCH better.

(Source: http://www.tripadvisor.com)

Location

Ramen Bowls is located just off of Mass Street at 125 E 10th Street.  Hours are 11 AM-9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 11 AM-11 PM on Friday and Saturday.  Ramen Bowls does deliver!

Phone #: (785) 842-6957

Website: http://www.ramenbowls.com/

The Menu

The menu is fairly expansive.  There’s plenty of choices, but not to the point where it’s overwhelming.  You’ve got your appetizers (or “Pupu”), ramen, house specialties, rice bowls, desserts, a kid’s menu, and drinks.  Since Ramen Bowls opened, there have been several additions to the menu.  Some of them I love (Spam musubi, yakibuta don), while others have me cringing and, to be honest, seem gimmick-y and out of place (chicken and kimchi tacos, anyone?).  Overall, the menu is solid and has a wide variety, especially when it comes to the ramen.

(Source: http://www2.ljworld.com)

The Food

The ramen here at Ramen Bowls is simple, no-frills food: you’ve got a big bowl of broth, a heaping serving of noodles, a serving of meat, a soft-boiled egg, any veggies that may be included (depending on the ramen you order), and whatever extras you may choose to get with your ramen (egg, corn, garlic, etc.).  If you’re looking for something fancy, chances are this isn’t the place for you.  However, if you’re looking for a big bowl of warm deliciousness, then Ramen Bowls is the place for you.

Having been to Ramen Bowls many times, as well as having ordered delivery, I really haven’t had anything that I didn’t like.  The ramen is fairly authentic and very flavorful.  Any major complaints I may have had about the ramen were from when the restaurant opened (i.e. the broth being far too salty), and Ramen Bowls has addressed these issues, so I really can’t complain.  Whether you order in the restaurant or get delivery, you’re guaranteed to have quality ramen.  

If I had to criticize something, though, it would be that sometimes Ramen Bowls can be inconsistent.  My favorite thing to order is the Hakata Tonkotsu Shoyu Ramen with extra egg and corn, and that’s literally all I’ve ordered the last five times I’ve been here.  The broth has always been delicious, and the noodles have always been well-cooked, so the foundation of the ramen is fine.  However, as for all the other goodies that come with the ramen, it can be iffy, and the past five bowls of Hakata Tonkotsu Shoyu Ramen I’ve gotten have all been different in one way or another.  One time, the corn in my ramen was still frozen.  Another time, the yakibuta (the pork that comes with the ramen) was a tad too tough and not as flavorful as usual.  Again, the broth and noodles were fine, so I still managed to finish and enjoy the dish regardless, but these little things made it just a tad less enjoyable.

However, in addition to the ramen, the other dishes at Ramen Bowls are just as delicious.  If a big bowl of rice is more of your thing, then Ramen Bowls has got you covered.  They’ve got plenty of rice dish options as well, and from what I’ve had, they are pretty tasty.  If you’re looking for a recommendation, I would go for the Shrimp Fried Rice.

The appetizers at Ramen Bowls aren’t shabby, either.  Again, I have some qualms about some of the more gimmick-y items (the tacos), but the other appetizers are really tasty and a great way to start off your meal, especially the Edamame and Spam Musubi (if you’re a fan of Spam, that is).

Overall Impressions

All in all, the food at Ramen Bowls is solid and especially delicious.  The service at the restaurant is great, there’s an option for delivery, and, save for a few little things here and there, everything tastes fantastic.  One complaint that I do have is that Ramen Bowls is pretty expensive, both for Lawrence and ramen in general.  Even in Los Angeles, where you can get away with charging people an arm and a leg for food because people are crazy, a standard bowl of ramen with extras (egg, veggies, maybe even meat) doesn’t go higher than $9; meanwhile, ramen at Ramen Bowls without extras goes for $8-10.  I don’t know why it’s more expensive (high quality ingredients?  ramen is harder to get in Kansas?), but it’s pricey regardless and not always friendly on the college budget.  Still, Ramen Bowls is a great place to treat yourself and I would strongly recommend checking it out.