Style

Is Renting Clothes the New Way of Shopping?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This semester, I was a Rent the Runway rep and I had so much fun with it! I had never considered renting my clothes instead of buying them but working with this company opened my eyes to a whole other universe. There are multiple benefits to renting instead of buying your clothes. 

Image credit

It is a much more sustainable option to bringing new pieces into your wardrobe. Since I am the type of person who likes variety, I always find the need to go shopping and buy new random outfits. This leads to my closet being stuffed to the brim of clothes I have not worn more than a few times which I did not need in the first place. I am not getting real use out of the clothes. Renting a few new pieces each month helped bring new clothes in and out of my closet. It also allowed me to rent stand-out, crazy, pieces I would probably not normally buy which was so fun to experiment with. 

Image credit

Renting minimizes fast fashion. We are all too familiar with stores like Forever 21, that offer lower quality pieces for low prices. While this is an affordable and realistic option for college students, it is also important to have some high-quality clothing in your closet. But, let’s be honest, I am a broke college student right now and cannot afford to spend money on high quality clothes all the time, so renting them made my life so much easier! 

Image credit

Rent the Runway offers quality brands at way lower prices. Being a Rent the Runway rep this semester allowed me to create wearable college outfits from some of my favorite designer brands. I was able to experiment with my style more without having to waste money on clothes I would only wear a few times. Even though nothing can cure my shopping addiction, working with this company made me realize renting clothes might just be a good, more sustainable, alternative. 

Freshman at the University of Kansas