sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Reality of a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Since the beginning of time, romance movies and novels have directed the scene and have seriously distorted the recognition of a true relationship. To all those ladies currently in a long distance relationship, I commend you. To all of you not in one, how envious I am of your convenience. Relationships, as everyone knows, are not easy. They take patience and hard work and endless amounts of laughing and crying. Here are the misconceptions of a long distance relationship:

First of all, long distance relationships ARE possible, I am living proof and they do not require much more effort than a normal relationship does.  You are bound to be texting and calling your significant other as much as humanly possible, which happens with distance or not. Also with distance, the most important factors in a relationship are truly put to the test: trust and commitment. Having a partner that lives far away definitely can put a strain on a relationship, but having strong trust and true commitment towards the other allows the relationship to be less of a fight and more of a fun adventure.

Secondly, long distance relationships are expensive. The unfortunate side of a long distance relationship is indeed the fact that it is long distance, meaning you will need a plane, train, or car to reach them. The realization of how much one could spend by traveling to see the other person can often be a reason for a break-up, but this is how I look at it. If you are willing to pick up an extra late night shift at work for some extra cash, or take the 6 a.m. plane to visit because it is the least expensive, think about what that truly means. You are willing to go the extra step, in order to be with your significant other; which is what being in a relationship is all about.

Another detail that many don’t realize, is how special a relationship is if you’re willing to do long distance. Many relationships fail because of not trusting the other person, jealousy, wandering eyes, and indeed long distance. The benefit of having a long distance relationship is obviously the ability to accomplish educational or professional goals without the distraction of the other person. The seriousness of a relationship, I believe, is measured by not how much you love the person, but instead how far you are willing to go for that person.

So leap at chances, and enjoy every minute you are with your significant other because the possibilities are endless and maybe someday you will be the girl that’s crazy about a guy living in Chicago.