Questions You Will Be Asked This Holiday Season & How To Respond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

You have to mentally prepare for the questions you know will be asked this holiday season. You just know that seeing distant family members during the holidays means you have to answer all the uncomfy, back-handed questions tipsy Aunt Karen throws at you. Having thought out some mature and ~adult~ responses will impress your family members get them off your back.

image credit

Q: Do you have a boyfriend/Why don’t you have a boyfriend?

A: I do not right now. I’m actually really enjoying where I’m at right now. I enjoy being the only one responsible for my happiness and enjoy being able to focus on myself and my well-being. 

image credit

Q: How are your classes going?

A: Classes are going well! Thank you for asking. I feel like I am beginning to learn real-life knowledge that I will apply in my career life. I enjoy school much more than I did in high school, and I’m looking forward to the classes I will be taking next semester.

Q: Why do you go out so much?

A: Being in college has taught me the importance of time management. I feel that I have done a really good job so far of balancing school, extracurriculars, and a social life. For example, I only go out when I am through with all my school work and other obligations. 

Q: Are you taking care of yourself?

A: Yes, I am taking care of myself. I’m eating good food and I walk to all my classes to get more exercise. I’ve recently started to put my phone on “do not disturb” mode at 10pm to refrain me from being on my phone too much before bed and get to bed earlier. I’ve noticed I perform much better when I’m healthier.

Q: Is that a new piercing/tattoo? (something about physical appearance)

A: Yes! Thank you for pointing that out. I was really happy to get ____ because I think it’s a beautiful way to express myself. I love having the freedom to control my body the way I want to. 

Q: What are your plans for the future?

A:  At this point in time I am not certain what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. That’s what a college is all about! So far, I have been able to identify what areas I do and do not like. My plan is to follow what I enjoy doing and work as hard as I can.

image credit

Hello! I'm nineteen years old and from a suburb outside Chicago, IL. In my free time, I like to read and write, play with makeup, and spend time with my friends. On the KU campus, I'm majoring in the Strategic Communications side of Journalism with a minor in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. I'm also a member of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. I hope you have as much fun reading my articles as I do writing them :)