Be Kind Back Sweater
Be Kind Back Sweater
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Putting Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

“Put yourself first” has become a very frequently used phrase in modern culture, especially for young women. But what do people really mean when they use this phrase? 

Modern culture has recently adopted a mantra of prioritizing yourself and looking out for your own well-being. While I am all for self-love and prioritizing your mental and physical health, I think society has taken its mantra a little too far. “Putting yourself first” has transcended from loving and taking care of yourself to putting your own self-interests above everyone else’s. Suddenly, screwing over others to accomplish your own goals has become encouraged and even glorified. “Do what’s best for you even if it hurts others in the process.”

I can\'t help you mad men sally draper
Lionsgate Television

This new outlook on life is honestly saddening. What happened to praising virtues and morals, not even in a religious sense but in a humane sense? What happened to humility and self-sacrifice? What happened to putting others first and why are we idolizing selfishness? 

Society is not aflame; I’m not accusing everyone of being self-serving and conceited. I do, however, think we need to recognize and change our view on self-love before too many people are influenced. I’m simply offering a call to action to recognize the difference between self-love and self-obsession. 

Let’s encourage serving others even if it comes with sacrificing something for ourselves. Don’t overdo it either; allow yourself the time you need to take care of yourself (SELF-CARE IS NOT SELFISH), but don’t become so wrapped up in your own life that you fail to make a difference in anyone else’s. Trust me when I say I’m not criticizing everyone around me; I’m not omitting myself from the rest of society. I need this reminder just as much as anyone else, probably even more; it’s just a reminder I felt like sharing.

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)