women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

PSA:  Stop calling it ISB. 

If you’ve ever walked into what has been formerly known as the Integrated Science Building, you’ve witnessed the overwhelming, up-to-date personality it possesses. Matter of fact, the first lab I had as a freshman, I found myself on the second floor of that building. (*tear* :’) wow, how I’ve grown. Lol.) I walked in as a proud, new Jayhawk ready for the first class ever– just to find out the first week of the semester no one actually has labs, so back to Daisy Hill I went. 

Back then, I was nervous, anxious, but regardless, I was proud to be there– like any freshman would be. However, now that I’ve learned a little about the building and the cause behind its recent name change, I’m even more prideful in my university and in getting to call myself a Jayhawk.

If you haven’t heard it from anywhere else, here’s the breaking news: the Integrated Science Building (ISB) is now to be called Gray-Little Hall. And for those of you who have no idea why this is and who Gray-Little is even referring to…. How. Dare. You.

Kidding. I’m about to tell you, it’s fine.

Gray-Little refers to KU’s previous chancellor, an African-American woman, Bernadette Gray-Little. Gray-Little served immensely at KU while being the chancellor from 2009-2017, but also signified a footprint for women as well. She was the first female and African American to be KU’s chancellor, which is HUGE! She grew up in North Carolina, received a doctorate degree in psychology from St. Louis University, and traveled to Denmark after graduation to conduct a research study examining cross-cultural psychology. Talk about having a passion for something…

So, if you’re wondering, “If psychology was her thing, what makes her claim the ISB title?,” here’s the answer. While she reigned, she pushed for the development of the Integrated Science Building, and as KU News puts it, she “was instrumental to the building’s construction.” This massive, 280,000 square-foot building provided KU’s campus with a huge increase of research space, literally. Those who participate in research at the university know that KU is one of the 36 AAU institutions. This is a group of public institutions that focus strongly on research, so you can see why the development of this building was so monumental for KU. AAU institutions receive HALF of all the research funding provided by the government in the U.S. That’s insane! The future of KU really slingshotted with the construction of Gray-Little Hall, and we have her to thank for it.  Now, Gray-Little Hall is not only used for research, but students in chemistry, physics, molecular biosciences, and related studies.

I’m sure y’all know about the KU Core, but if you don’t it’s known to give students a well-rounded experience to KU students by the time they’re ready to graduate. Also, you should probably meet with your advisor…like yesterday. The KU core was the result from the redrafting and revision done by Gray-Little of the undergraduate curriculum. The entering freshman class increased for five consecutive years after the plan was redrafted. In more ways than one, Bernadette Gray-Little changed and improved KU’s campus and the future of our university. She deserves to have a building named after her, so let’s pay the credit where it’s due! There’s a whole website to learn more about her if you’re interested:http://chancellor.ku.edu/thank-you-bgl To women everywhere, we can do big things!! Never give up on that “crazy” dream of yours. Hey, you never know! Maybe you’ll get a building named after you, too.

Hi! I'm Callie! I’m an Iowa native with a love for people, running, the Jayhawks and chips & salsa because, honestly, who doesn’t?