The Pros and Cons of Owning a Pet as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Pets are great. College? Eh, it’s okay. Combining the two could be a recipe for disaster, or a recipe for a damn good time. Here are a few points to take into consideration when deciding whether or not to add another member to your household.

Pros

• Companionship

• Responsibility

• Protection

• Improved mental health

• Doing something good- rescuing from a shelter

• Physical health/keep you active

• Meet new people

Cons

• Responsibility

• Allergies

• Property policies

• Mess

• Money

• Schedule/Time

Ultimately the decision is up to you, but no matter what you choose, you can always get your monthly (weekly? daily?) dosage of puppy and kitty love at your local shelter!

Marissa Ventrelli is a Freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus and takes photos for her school's newspaper, the Daily Kansan. Her goal is to become a photojournalist for National Geographic but also to own several dogs and have a pathetically impressive collection of nut butters. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, volunteering, and writing about herself in the third person. After graduation, she hopes to move to Oregon where she will mock its citizens while simultaneously identifying with them on a deep level.