Life > Academics

The Pros and Cons of Being Fully Back on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

After going online in the middle of the spring semester my freshman year, I’ve eagerly anticipated being able to go back on campus for my classes. However, being back on campus isn’t all sunshine and roses. There are definitely aspects of being online that I will also miss. So, with a new and improved outlook toward being on campus, here are some pros and cons of returning to in-person classes. 

Pro #1: making friends

I found it difficult to interact one-on-one with people and make friends in my classes over Zoom, so this is definitely a huge perk of returning to “normal.” Regular classrooms give the opportunity to meet new people and chat with them, leading to friendships that can persist outside of class as well. It’s much easier to discuss homework, form study groups or just hang out when grabbing a bite to eat between classes. Plus, I love greeting people I know around campus—something I definitely couldn’t do when we weren’t walking around school. 

Con #1: showing up sweaty to class 

I can’t believe I forgot how annoying this particular issue was. It’s less of a problem when the weather cools down, but for these 90°+ days in August and early September, I’m always miserably hot and out of breath when I get to class. In fact, I always carry deodorant and an extra shirt in my backpack just to help mitigate the issue. Definitely miss being able to hop on Zoom calls without worrying about how sweaty I was! 

Pro #2: social buffers 

There’s just something unique about the camaraderie shared between students in a class who all look at each other and think, wtf is going on? Hard to get that shared experience over Zoom. Having a social buffer and knowing that your classmates and peers feel the same way you do is immensely relieving, and can act as a great ice breaker to start conversations and eventually make friends. 

Con #2: sickness paranoia 

It was gross enough hearing people cough and sniffle in class pre-COVID, but now every sound sends a subconscious thought through my head: could this classmate have COVID? And even if they don’t, I feel much more attuned to these noises than I was before, despite the fact that many of them are normal and can be attributed to other causes (allergies, a common cold, a dry throat, etc.). Although we wear masks, it’s hard to ignore the subconscious nagging instilled by a year and a half of living through a pandemic. 

Pro #3: in-person office hours 

In-person optional discussion sessions and office hours saved my general chemistry grade freshman year. Although I was able to make connections with some of my professors virtually over the last year, I missed being able to just stop by their office to ask a question or to simply chat. Zoom felt very formal—every meeting was scheduled, every second of time planned. In-person office hours tend to be much more casual, and lend themselves better to building relationships with professors in general. 

Con #3: speaking of sickness… 

The final con of being on campus is, ironically, sickness, but not COVID-related. Usually freshmen in the dorms are hit the hardest by this beginning of the school year “plague,” which is essentially a mild cold that affects many students. A return to campus—and consequently being around more people—means it’s inevitable that some will get sick. Even if it’s not COVID, being sick is never fun, especially on top of classes and getting used to a new schedule. 

And there you have it! There are many more benefits and drawbacks to being in person as opposed to Zoom classes, but I think overall I’d have to say I prefer being in person for several of the reasons listed above. However, I do hope that a compromise will be offered in the future to help solve some of the public health issues that have been highlighted during the pandemic, and to make classes more accessible for everyone!

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Kansas studying global & international studies and biochemistry. When not watching How to Train Your Dragon or soccer (hala Madrid!), she likes to read, write, and listen to Taylor Swift.