nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Power of a Follow-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Whether you are applying for a part-time or full-time job you should treat every interview and employer with the same respect and professional attitude. If you find yourself turning in application after application and passing out all of the copies of your resume with no response then this might be your answer: the follow-up call. You must follow-up every single inquiry if you are going to expect a response or even just constructive criticism from employers. Many employers have hundreds of resumes piling up on the hiring managers desk and it’s easy to get lost in that sea of papers. They may only glance at your actual resume for a matter of seconds before moving on to the next prospective employee.

So you have to follow-up and do it with confidence. The most ideal is a phone call, yes old-fashioned conversation, but if not that than at least an email or a letter. In a ideal follow up you will address that you had recently provided and application or resume or had had an interview and will go on to clarify your interest in working with the possible employer. This is the best way for your name to be pulled out of  the pile and seriously considered. You are showing the potential employer your drive and strong interest in being a part of their business. You are reinforcing both your qualifications for the job and also your interest in the position, and don’t forget to thank them for their time and consideration in the process. This is one of the most important tips to follow in the job seeking process and you benefit greatly from the communication and experience discussing with those possible employers. So pick up the phone and fight for that dream job of yours.