This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Technology has its hooks in me. I can’t promise I’ll get through this article without at least checking my phone a few times or getting distracted by some Youtube video that’s making headlines. As a generation that has grown up with innovative, tech-savvy minds and the good luck of seeing the emergence of cell phones and other evolutionary tidbits, we’ve seen how technology has become a dominant part of our lives. The installation of computers and Smart Boards in classrooms and the necessity of using the Internet to do homework are just a few ways that technology has rooted itself in our lives.

Walking around campus amongst droves of college students, I’m always amazed at how many phones are pulled out and earphones are plugged in. We’re all guilty of this at some point or another. Even when we know we should be paying attention (like in class), we’re constantly drawn to our phones or computers with the hope of coming across some new trend, video, or picture. Maybe for some, it’s the hope that they’ll learn or discover something new. But ultimately, it makes us feel connected to the world and the people in it. Writing posts or tweeting feels more powerful than words because it can reach more people. Too often, though, I think we let ourselves be so consumed by the Internet that we lose track of what’s right in front of us.

I was warned before coming to college that it would be filled with new and exciting people and experiences. I have found this to be true. But I seldom meet new people and experience new things while glued to my cell phone. Seeing so many people wrapped up with their phones or earphones in is incredibly saddening because it’s limiting their ability to create new experiences. Some of the best moments I’ve had in college so far are the ones that were unexpected. A girl who sits down next to you in class will become one of your good friends or the game of volleyball you played will introduce you to a new crush. These moments, though unextraordinary compared to the Internet, have become the most memorable. Knowing that my chance to meet new friends might have been impeded by something as simple as my cell phone or computer is disheartening and yet eye-opening at how tight of a grasp technology has on our lives.

We all hate the feeling of not having our phone in hand’s reach because it means we don’t have a temporary escape from the mundanity of our lives. I believe that if you have the will to put your phone away for a moment and power down, you’ll be surprised with what awaits you.